Horn Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 05:03 PM
Default Horn Help

I bought a 91 Camaro RS a few weeks ago and the horn doesn't work. It came with Chiltons Repair manual and I went to Autozone and bought Haynes Repair Manual and both of them have every wiring diagram and talk about everything else but the horn. I was wondering if any other 3rd gen owners have had the same problem and what they've done to fix it. I tried searching it on the forums but all I could find was people wanting to install an external horn. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:38 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Horn Help

Replace the horn. Problem fixed.

Seriously, have you tested the horn? Take it out of the car and hook it up to some jumpers. (Yeah, run jumper cables right from a battery to the horn) It will scare the hell out of you if it goes 'HONK'. If the horn works, then check your ground. (hook it back into the car and run another ground) Most times when a horn doesnt work its either the horn or the ground, almost never is it the hot lead or the button. Good luck.

And burn that friggen Haynes Manual, they are worthless. I love how they give a FULL engine teardown and rebuild but dont explain or show pics of how to remove the damn instrument panel. Stuff like "Window removal is a complicated matter and should be left to a professional repair shop"

Now, mail me your Chiltons manual!!!!! (Cant find one anywhere here in NY)

Old 10-29-2006, 09:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i had the same problem. i replaced the horn and the problem was actually in the steering wheel. just pull the cover off and make sure when you push on the steering wheel cover thing that it actually is pushing the button on the inside for the horn. if i remember right the button is a little circle metal piece on the top left. may be different for a different wheel though

Old 10-29-2006, 10:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

how did u get the steering wheel cover off without blowing the airbag up in your face. i have to hit my horn in just the right spot to get it to work.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Overdrive Member

You got the air bag and they have small buttons under the cover. The covers dont fit after a while and makes it hard or near imposible to make the horn sound. Thats one possiblity
push the buttons and see if you can hear a click from under the dash. Check your fuses if no sound. If there is a click then check the horns. But there is two so it seems rare that they both go out.

ScottD
Kragens carries Chiltons and if you like I could check here and pick one up for you. I think they were around 20 to 30 bucks and whatever the shipping is.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

oh sorry, i didn't know what year your car was. mine is an 89 and i don't have bags

Old 10-31-2006, 07:21 PM

I checked the buttons and I heard a clicking noise coming from both of them. Does anyone know where the horn is? There could be a wire or something not connected to it. Thanks for all the help.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:55 PM
Overdrive Member

Left hand side under the hood through a hole leading to the fender near the headlights

Old 11-01-2006, 04:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

try a horn relay--first

Old 11-01-2006, 06:13 PM
2nd Gear member

Autozone sells Chilton's 3rd gen camaro manual online for about $20 plus shipping.

Quick Reply: Horn Help