HELP PLEASE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Default HELP PLEASE!!!!

my buddy and i just got a 1989 firebird formula. Its got a tpi 305 roller in it.

what, if any modifications can be made to make some reliable horsepower to it? we got a lil bit of money to work with, and we would prefer to spend as little as possible for some decent upgrades.

so, any mods that you can suggest, i would greatly appreciate it, thanks for any reponse!!

peace out

Old 09-25-2006, 03:23 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: HELP PLEASE!!!!

We should probably start out with finding out what your skill level is. What sort of work are you willing to take on? Can you tear apart an engine and have it still work properly when you're done, or are you limited to putting a new air filter and plugs in the car? It makes a big difference in what should be reccomended, and so will budget. You're alot more likely to get good results from this group if you make it clear what you're willing to take on yourself and what you need a pro for.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:53 PM

ok, sorry i forgot to mention.

i am a michigan certified mechanic....so i can do the serious stuff. as for my friend...........he's an ex sniper, if that counts for anything.

and as for our buget, lets shoot for around 3000 to work with. just to get some ideas, thanks. but anyhting that we can get from a junkyard, well, we could get the **** damn cheap.

so yeah, any hints would be apprecitated.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:10 PM
3rd Gear Member

LOL if you are a certified mechanic why are you asking us? LOL you should know how to increase horsepower. more air and fuel in ... more exhaust out ... the faster you go. Sick ( smartass extraordnaire ) LMAO

Old 09-25-2006, 05:43 PM

while i am certified, i am not all that familar with using the 305 as a base powerplant. i was just lookin for common mods that people make to make some decent amount of power

Old 09-25-2006, 06:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

the major problem with 305's are the heads. the intake runners and combustion chambers are so small it inhibits the air and fuel flow. it is possible to have them ported and 1.94 valves installed but the improvment is limited because the combustion chamber shrouds the valves. one option is to use 350 heads which the combustion chambers are larger and you can go with 2.02 valves but, since the combustion chamber on 350 heads is 64cc and 305 heads are 58cc your gonna loose compression and defeat the battle for more horsepower. another solution is to port the 350 heads for 2.02 vlaves and have the heads angle milled. angle milling will allow you to take enough metal off to get the 350 heads down to 58cc. the only draw back to angle milling is you will have to use two intake gaskets and possibly port the intake runners to match the new location of the intake runners on the heads. also you won't be able to use a cam with much more than a .480 lift or you will run into valve clearance problems. most people decidedly go with a hotter cam to increase HP. this alone does very little. the hotter cam is only gonna draw in and exhaust as much as the fuel/air supply and exhaust will allow. so it only makes since to increase fuel/air supply and exhaust capabilities before installing a hotter cam. more air/fuel capability ... larger exhaust ... and a lopy cam is a reliable way to more horsepower ... and in your case a computer upgrade. that is with or without better heads. throw better heads into the mix and your talking major HP gains. Sick

Old 09-27-2006, 09:15 PM

well, seeing that we want to eventually turbo it, wouldnt haveing the compression lowered in the end benifit us???

or should i just say **** it and go with a 350?

Old 09-27-2006, 09:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

i haven't decided if it's principles or i'm just plain hard headed but, when my rod breaks the 11's it will be with a 305. you make good hp and et's with a 350 people say yea great. you make great hp and et's with a 305 people wanna talk about it. to each his own i guess. i'm not gonna go lieing to ya about the turbo. have never run one. alot of people have different opinions about turbos and nitrous and such. the racers i hang with call it cheating lol.sick

Old 09-28-2006, 02:52 AM
3rd Gear Member

Pick up a one piece rear seal 350 engine and build off of that. ( '87 - up ) It'll be easier to make power and cheaper in the long run. If You want to add a turbo, build it with that in mind. 8.8 or so compression, forged pistons, Fel Pro # 1010 head gaskets with the built in SS o-ring, etc. You should be able to keep it under 3 grand even with the good stuff.