Help Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Default Help Please!!

I just bought a camaro 1986 z28 with a carb 305. Doesnt sound like the previous owner knew what he was doing. The temperature gauge doesnt work and he had like no coolant in it. I added a full bottle to it and it doesnt seem to over heat but the service engine soon light comes on and its dark now so I cant check the coolant level again but was it just that empty or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:51 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Help Please!!

First I would check to see what code the SES light is showing and second get the temp gage repaired.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You bought a car where the coolant was way low, and you weren't resistering anything on the gauge, and now after filling it up some, you get a ses code? How come you didn't look at the coolant level before buying the car? Sounds like maybe the seller did know what he was doing, possibly hiding something that's wrong!

Old 02-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

On an 86 low coolant will not set the check engine light in most cases. IF the car is completely out of coolant neither your coolant gage or you coolant sensor will work if there is no coolant to heat them up. When the computer goes into close loop its looking for the coolant temp to read within a range. Ifthe readingis not in that range it will set a coolant temp error.I think that car started life with a TPI fuel injection so why the SES light is on is anyones guess. On most of those converted cars the computer is no more.

Why would you buy a car with no coolant? Please tell me you did not buy a carthatyou did not evencheck the fluid levels on. If so I guessing you did not check to see if there is a floor in it. Good god man thats a 22+ year old car designed to last 10 years you have any idea how many things can be wrong with that thing.