Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   82-92 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-general-10/)
-   -   HELP! Car lacking power, not wanting to run, or some of both (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-general-10/help-car-lacking-power-not-wanting-run-some-both-72857/)

Dana 12-26-2012 11:43 AM

HELP! Car lacking power, not wanting to run, or some of both

Mo son's 90 RS was running just fine this morning. He's made two short trips to my moms to take some christmas stuff back. Anyway, first trip, normal. Second time while backing up he noticed it didn't have as much power. Now he's at my moms which is really up behind here and not far at all to bring home, he's afraid to even run it. It cranks fine but he just said it doesn't have the power it should have. What does he need to check? It's a 305 V8.

Blackgloves 12-26-2012 05:05 PM

Maybe on the 2nd trip yall realized it had a 305? j/k

This is happening during acceleration? from 0-30 or 30-60? Is it sputtering?

Dana 12-26-2012 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Blackgloves (Post 655882)
Maybe on the 2nd trip yall realized it had a 305? j/k

um...no. Had a 350 for 5 years and this is plenty. Actually he would prefer to have his 3.4 that was totaled.

To answer your question, it's bouncing RPM's badly while running whether it's in park, drive, running, sitting, doesn't matter. It's not sputtering at all. It just sounds like you're giving it gas and letting off but you're not. It's like it's starved of fuel. He has these two holes on the hood that he thinks water got in. Previous owner had a air inducter on the hood and took it off and the "holes" are still there. The filter over the carburetor was wet if that makes sense lol. I forgot what my husband said right off. They think with all the rain we've had that some got in there. He even had some water drops on his CD that was in his stereo.

Camaro 69 12-26-2012 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by budsysmith (Post 655883)
The filter over the carburetor was wet if that makes sense lol.

Like soaking wet, or a little wet? If the paper filter element is soaked, it will be choking the engine (restricting air flow).

Dana 12-26-2012 06:08 PM

Well I asked him again and keep in mind he really hasn't been exposed to mechanics at all. He lifted up the breather thing and said there was water down in that pan area. Said he didn't take out filter. Get anything from that? I can pull out the Haynes manual and find technical terms lol

Dana 12-26-2012 06:16 PM

He said it still did this even with the filter assembly off.

Blackgloves 12-26-2012 07:08 PM

This kinda sounds like a vacuum leak which would mean one of the hoses is cracked or has a hole and its getting entirely way to much air.

but, if there are holes in the hood, you had some rain lately then there is water in the fuel lines and or filter? Not sure, gonna have to check the fuel system to see if water is in it. filter, carb etc

craby 12-26-2012 07:35 PM

sounds like its runniing on 6 cylinders or less. did he by chance run through a rather large puddle of water and soak the engine

Dana 12-26-2012 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by craby (Post 655893)
sounds like its runniing on 6 cylinders or less. did he by chance run through a rather large puddle of water and soak the engine

No he wouldn't have went in any puddles. We're on top of a hill so water is all down below us.

Dana 12-26-2012 09:11 PM

Oh I guess, too, you could change the title of this to "car not wanting to run" rather than "lacking power". It really does sound like you are getting on and off the gas when you're not doing anything but sitting with your foot on the brake.