Help! Broken trunk motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Default Help! Broken trunk motor

Hey whats goin on guys, I have a 1986 Camaro, love it to death, recently my trunk motor will not snap back in to place lockin down my trunk, I orginally thought it was a fuse, but I think the motor needs to be replaced, How specific do I need to be when replacing this part? What years of Camaros or Gm cars can I use to replace it, I would really like to go down to junkyard and find the part instead of being swindled by the dealership
Can you help me out???
Thanks

Old 09-29-2007, 02:31 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Help! Broken trunk motor

Go to www.top-downsolutions.com for all the parts and info on getting they hatch operating again.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Overdrive Member

Its not always the motor. There is a small switch by the latch and when the striker clicks into the latch it also hits the switch and makes the motor pull down. It has small wires and with the constant up and down the wires wear out. There is also a fuseable link on the starter but if that was bad I think your headlights might also not work.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

So is your hatch just latchednow, but not pulled down all the way? try holding the latch over with a screw driver and moving the two wires on the relay switch, also check the ground wire that comes off that relay. If it the motor they do seperate from plastic housing. good luck with it, it took me 3 motors til i finally got a good one that would work.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:24 PM
4th Gear Member

Three major parts need to replaced on the Hatch pull down,
1) nylon guides
2) plastic gear (most common problem)
3) Motor

You do have to disassemby it to find the defective part. TDS has a good download of instuctions on the hatch repair. Been there and done it and in 99 44/100 % of the time it is not the wiring or fuses.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:01 PM
Overdrive Member

3 out of 3 F bodies have been electrical for me. One switch and two wiring. Other modelsmostlyelectrical or *** punched. One blown up motor that I can remember.
Just check it before throwing parts at it. Only you will be able to come up with the correct answer because you have the item in front of you.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:21 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

3 out of 3 F bodies have been electrical for me. One switch and two wiring. Other modelsmostlyelectrical or *** punched. One blown up motor that I can remember.
Just check it before throwing parts at it. Only you will be able to come up with the correct answer because you have the item in front of you.
You must buy cars with screwed up electrical systems from dimwits. Original owner and never had a electrical problem and the hatch repair was my first and it was the motor, gear and slides. I base my opinion on what I have seen on my car and not used up cars.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: blackz87

You must buy cars with screwed up electrical systems from dimwits. Original owner and never had a electrical problem and the hatch repair was my first and it was the motor, gear and slides. I base my opinion on what I have seen on my car and not used up cars.
You have no idea on what any of these vehicles were like. Thats not an opinion, that is a fact! [sm=chairshot.gif]Maybe this person bought his car from a "dimwit". I base my opinion on the many repairs I have made to diffirent vehicles. Yours is based on your one car???

Old 10-01-2007, 05:24 PM
4th Gear Member

You have no idea on what any of these vehicles were like. Thats not an opinion, that is a fact! [sm=chairshot.gif]Maybe this person bought his car from a "dimwit". I base my opinion on the many repairs I have made to diffirent vehicles. Yours is based on your one car???
NO, YOUR ONESIDED OPINIONS.....[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 10-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Overdrive Member

NO, YOUR ONESIDED OPINIONS.....[sm=badbadbad.gif]
[sm=lame.gif]
???your opinion is based on my onesided opinion??? Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back because your not all that like you think you are. You must be the head dimwit. If you take the time to READ the post and think for a moment (maybe two or three in your case) you will see it is not my opinion but yours that is onesided! [sm=loser.gif]

Quick Reply: Help! Broken trunk motor