Help?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Help?!

So my battery keeps getting drained after the car sits for about a week, I think I found the culprit. The first owner of the car had a car alarm installed and the second owner bypassed it (because the car starts and I do not have the fob for it) there is a rat's nest of wire and wire loom under the dash from who ever installed this POS alarm. I found the black box for the Viper 600 alarm and tried to trace the wires but they go every which way and was wondering if someone on the forum had a wire diagram for an 87 Iroc or if there's an easy way to take this alarm out of the car and have the car still start along with everything operational.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Take a look at your positive and negative connections at your battery. A lot of alarm installers will tap right off the battery with a hot line using an in-line fuse. You may also have a voltage draw sensor sandwiched on the positive battery cable (looks like a black flat rectangle). If there are wires and crap connected there at the battery that don't look factory, start by disconnecting those wires and trace it back to your rats nest.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

there are no wires at the battery besides the stock terminals, everything is connected under the dash and the only wires going back up front are to the actual car alarm horn (which were already cut) I'm thinking they connected the alarm to the 12v constant ie:cigarette lighter.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

There should be an alarm control module (plastic box) stuffed under the dash for you to trace wires back from.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yea I found the box, that's how I knew there was an alarm in the car. The only thing is wires go every which way and I can't tell what wires are important (ie: part of the car) or part of the alarm. It's a complete mess under there.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

Trace EVERY wire, one at a time. Then cut it. I know its a PITA, but I just rewired an entire car this way. Grab that black box and go one at a time......

Old 02-26-2011, 05:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, I just picked up a complete dash with no cracks out of an 86 and still has the fuse box connected so if worse comes to worse Ill just swap everything over.