Has anyone "modified" the rear hatch latch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:48 PM
4th Gear Member
Default Has anyone "modified" the rear hatch latch?

To any and all of you 3rd gen folks. Every car i visit at a boneyard has the motor for the rear hatch "pull down" broken.

has anyone just tossed the entire contraption and fashioned a good old, simple latch that just locks without the pull down? I don't care if I don't have a remote lid release inside the car.

I can't imagine that it hasn't been done since these cars have been around for a while.

Please keep in mind that I'm trying to do a "budget restoration" so items such as having pull down aren't a must have for me. If you haven't been, then follow my thread about the budget restoration of an 89 RS

Old 10-22-2010, 01:20 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Mine still works fine- but if you are willing to spend a little bit, a new motor costs $50 + shipping apparently.

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Electrical/...ampaign=1ATony

Old 10-22-2010, 07:10 AM
4th Gear Member

It is NOT rocket science to repair the hatch pull down. The BIGGEST propblem is people slamming the hatch shut. I had to repair mine due to the plastic gear being stripped.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:17 AM
4th Gear Member

Of course I can throw money at it. The plastic rails are shot, the motor never engages etc. I'll decide if I really care about pull down or fashion a generic latch myself. If the latter, then I'll post for others that ever wish to do that.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:44 PM

It's not much to redo them but if ur looking for a cheap permanent fix that I did just shut the hatch try to get it to latch and make a mark where the rails are. You can then just weld it together works just fine I still have my button release inside just no pull down motor. If u adjust it right it won't leak and will last.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:38 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aceman88
It's not much to redo them but if ur looking for a cheap permanent fix that I did just shut the hatch try to get it to latch and make a mark where the rails are. You can then just weld it together works just fine I still have my button release inside just no pull down motor. If u adjust it right it won't leak and will last.
thanks

I ended up purchasing a complete pull down assembly.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

I had problems with mine and nearly replaced the whole thing. I replaced the motor (needlessly), my problem was just the relay and the return switch not always engaging.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:57 AM
4th Gear Member

Thes three major parts are the cause of most hatch closure problems.
1) motor...broken housing or burned out
2) plastic gear....stripped teeth
3) nylon slides...missing or broken

Download repair instructions from Top Down Solutions and they have the above parts.

It is NOT rocket science to make this repair. Also, after repairs DON't let anybody SLAM the hatch close, major cause of hatch failure.

Last edited by blackz87; 12-19-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:37 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackz87
Thes three major parts are the cause of most hatch closure problems.
1) motor...broken housing or burned out
2) plastic gear....stripped teeth
3) nylon slides...missing or broken

Download repair instructions from Top Down Solutions and they have the above parts.

It is NOT rocket science to make this repair. Also, after repars DON't let anybody SLAM the hatch close, major cause of hatch failure.
I know of that site. I found a complete assembly, in good order for less than a single piece part from top-down

Old 12-19-2010, 04:25 PM

Yea the trick is to not slam it!! i dont let people touch it cause i know they will slam the damn thing.. You dont even barely have to apply any force. Just slightly push it down so you hear the click and it will do the rest of the work.. Keep that in mind when you replace it. Dont let your friends get ahold of it either

Quick Reply: Has anyone "modified" the rear hatch latch?