Getting my exhaust put on tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 11:23 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Getting my exhaust put on tomorrow...

Takin g my Z to the exhaust shop and havign them to a complete exhaust setup. Right now on the new engine im running open headers, as most of you know, it is close to impossible to do a dua l exhaust setup on these cars so im havign them fa b a 2.5" Y-pipe, back to a flowma ter 80 series replacement muffler (2.5 in X du al 2.5 out) and no cat of course. They are gonna do it for $225, including pipe, hangers, tips, brackets, and labor, then i bought the muffler off jegs for $96. Then in the next few days I have my new shocks, struts, energy suspension bushings, and my RR caliper, rotor, and pads to put on. After that, she is gonna be pretty much done except for body work...

Old 08-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Getting my exhaust put on tomorrow...

There was some one here that had true duals on his.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:12 AM
4th Gear Member

You are wasting your money and any performance gain by not going to mandrel bend 3" SSpipes instead of the smaller 2.5 dia. Same goes for your choice of muffler and the lack of the Cat.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:10 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ORIGINAL: blackz87

You are wasting your money and any performance gain by not going to mandrel bend 3" SSpipes instead of the smaller 2.5 dia. Same goes for your choice of muffler and the lack of the Cat.
Yeah... When I get the money to do that, trust me, I will. However, how is the lack of cat going to affect my performance? But for $225, im just gonna have them do this.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:23 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

Yeah... When I get the money to do that, trust me, I will. However, how is the lack of cat going to affect my performance? But for $225, im just gonna have them do this.
If you have to ask about the Cat, I am only gone to say one word "Emissions". Another item it is illegal for a muffler/exhaust shop to remove and not install a replacement Cat.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Overdrive Member

If he has to ask then maybe he does not have inspections in his state. And the other states, like California, have him to thank for the stricter inspections we go through due to the air quality.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

If you have to ask about the Cat, I am only gone to say one word "Emissions". Another item it is illegal for a muffler/exhaust shop to remove and not install a replacement Cat.
That is true, but he's bringing his car in without a cat on it. And since the muffler shop didn't remove the cat, they didn't break any law. It's not a muffler shops job to be a whistle blower.
I'm in IL, and our state law is that cars 1996 and newer (OBDII) only get tested. I'm curious though, if rebuilding a car and the state doesn't test your year any more, how many would pay extra and put a cat back on just for the warm and fuzzy feeling it would give you? Show of hands? I'm not saying it's the "right" thing to do, but the reason some states are dropping testing on older cars is because they are becoming a small minority of the cars on the road, and they don't see the offset of the cost of testing as being worth it to them.
Californi is another story (and world for that matter).

Old 08-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Overdrive Member

Well you really can't blame California for being the state that fights the hardest to clean up the air for every one else including all of you. We share the air with the other states and when it hits us it gets trapped between the mountains and Pacific breeze. And it to top it we also get the air being breathed by the Olympians in China. But California will tell you its all from our automoblies to justify thier growing restrictions on smog laws.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

There may be something to that Mike. I always try to drive heading East as much as I can, and that points my tailpipe West to make my exhaust head over yonder your way!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Overdrive Member

Yeah thanks a lot for that man! How about driving in reverse so the fumes go back in the tailpipe! [X(]

Quick Reply: Getting my exhaust put on tomorrow...