gauges not working...causes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 01:16 PM
2nd Gear member
Default gauges not working...causes?

My son has done all but actually pay for a 90 RS that he desperately wants. We test drove it a while sat. Immediately you notice the speedometer isn't working. He (seller) thought it was a fuse and was going to have it fixed by today. Well not only that gauge but the RPM gauge wasn't working. It looked like the gas was on E if it was accurate, and the airbag light was on. Anyway, they've had it in the shop all day today. Seller is on his way now to see what's going on. His brother owns the business.

The car had been sitting for sale at the garage and seller seemed shocked that the gauges weren't working when he brought it to his house sat. He's had this car 4 years and claims it had never done this. Is this a huge issue? What I mean by that is would this alone change your mind and be any indication of more trouble to come?

Old 09-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

personally i would pass on a car that sat for 4 years. odds are it needs tires (an easy 400-500$) ac probably doesnt work (anywhere from 40-400$ depending on if it needs to be resealed) fuel lines are probably gummed up ect. i know he wants it but try to talk him in to something thats been running.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Moved this thread to the 3rd gen section.
The gauge cluster plugs into the dash, and on the back of it is a flexible printed circuit (pc) board that makes all the connections. Since there's more than one thing in the gauge cluster not working, the "board" could have a break in it, could be the plug-in connection is corroded, or could be a bad ground under the dash. Hopefully they can find the issue, since tracing electrical gremlins isn't always fun.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:42 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
personally i would pass on a car that sat for 4 years. odds are it needs tires (an easy 400-500$) ac probably doesnt work (anywhere from 40-400$ depending on if it needs to be resealed) fuel lines are probably gummed up ect. i know he wants it but try to talk him in to something thats been running.

It hasnt sat for 4 years. He's OWNED it that long lol. It has been his daily driver actually. It's only been "sitting" for a few days while it was for sale and he's only selling it because he has too much titanium in his pelvis area from a bad wreck to squeeze into that car. He's a big fellow and he had to get a SUV that he could sit up in more comfortably.

The shop is replacing the cluster right now.

And as far as moving this, I had posted about it days ago in the 3rd gen and no response. I always get quick responses on the 4th gen forum.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I'd say the difference in response may be more due to how you titled the thread.
If they get the gauges working, consider yourself lucky if the tach is accurate.
The tach in my old 91 read double (kept my division skills sharp). And it's a very common problem with the 90-92's.
Replacing my gauge cluster didn't help any either. Oh btw, I just happen to have a spare gauge cluster!

Old 09-18-2012, 02:57 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I'd say the difference in response may be more due to how you titled the thread.
If they get the gauges working, consider yourself lucky if the tach is accurate.
The tach in my old 91 read double (kept my division skills sharp). And it's a very common problem with the 90-92's.
Replacing my gauge cluster didn't help any either. Oh btw, I just happen to have a spare gauge cluster!
With a speeding ticket and totaling same car in less than 4 months time, we'd just be happy with a working speedometer at this point.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

why is it that the stock tach is SO inaccurate. ???

Old 09-18-2012, 06:39 PM
2nd Gear member

They got everything working but speedometer. Replacing the speed sensor tomorrow. I'm glad all of this is being done NOW as opposed to after buying it lol

Old 09-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by budsysmith
It hasnt sat for 4 years. He's OWNED it that long lol. It has been his daily driver actually. It's only been "sitting" for a few days while it was for sale and he's only selling it because he has too much titanium in his pelvis area from a bad wreck to squeeze into that car. He's a big fellow and he had to get a SUV that he could sit up in more comfortably.

The shop is replacing the cluster right now.

And as far as moving this, I had posted about it days ago in the 3rd gen and no response. I always get quick responses on the 4th gen forum.
my bad i read your original post to fast

Old 09-21-2012, 10:09 AM
2nd Gear member

They put the new cluster in and everything worked but the Speedometer. Put in a speed sensor and then the speedometer worked and the tach quit. When you crank it the needle on the RPM flies from one end to the other and then stops.

Quick Reply: gauges not working...causes?