Fuel problems, NEED HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:26 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Fuel problems, NEED HELP!!!!!!

Well today I took the camaro over to the transmission shop today to have the guy who built the tranny check my lock up and adjust my TV cable. On the way back, I was goin up the overpass of I-95 and Broward Blv when it started sputtering. I got to the top of the hill, when the light turned red so I had to stop. Couldnt get it to stay running, so my dad jumped in the drivers seat and I got out and pushed him down the hill when the light turned green. He was able to coast into the BP station about 1/4 mile away, (leaving me in the middle of the ghetto btw.) When I caught up to him, I checked to see if there was any fuel in the fuel filter (see through) and it was bone dry, but with alot of sediment in it. I assumed I was out of gas, since my fuel gauge didnt work, but I had just put 12 gallons of high test in it the week before and had only drove it 15 miles or so (but lots of burnouts.) So I pumped the gas, but it only took 6 gallons, meaning I had 6 gallons still in the tank. But, I cranked it and it started. My fuel pressure gauge was reading 3.5 PSI at idle and was jumping around alot, the fuel filter was also staying only half full. Got it back to the shop and changed the fuel filter, started it up, and held a perfect 6PSI and the filter stayed full. Seems like just a dirty fuel filter, but what I dont understand is that it went bone dry, just like that, then pumping gas in it changed it. It was pretty dirty with quite a bit of sediment, but IMHO, I dont think it was enough to stop the fuel flow 100% The car came stock with the crossfire injection, and I have no idea type of pump was used and what the person that originally swapped it to carb did.

So, my question is, did the crossfire injection used an in tank pump, or just a regular pickup? Should I put a new pickup in?

Old 08-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Default RE: Fuel problems, NEED HELP!!!!!!

I had an 82 with crossfire injection and the fuel pump was in the gas tank. I'm not sure if a mechanical fuel pump will pull fuel through a non operating electric fuel pump or not.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Overdrive Member

I think there would be too much resistance for any pump to pull through a non working electric. Maybe the filter was just plugged enough to where nothing would pass and the pump was bypassing the fuel.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:34 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

I think there would be too much resistance for any pump to pull through a non working electric. Maybe the filter was just plugged enough to where nothing would pass and the pump was bypassing the fuel.
Thats what im thinking it was, because everythings fine now.