FUEL problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006 | 03:34 PM
|
Default FUEL problem!!!

i just got a 87 iroc with a 350, rebuilt tranny and rear for 2700

body is awsome

engine doesnt run for ****, its overfuelin bad, so bad more gas was in the oil then oil. what could cause this? anyone had problems? the MAS was unplugged and im thinkin it was that, the guy said there was a cracked fuel line screawin it up idk, he was a dumb redneck. also im readin really low voltage, battery is new, and good. i got it tested could it be the starter?

i have no idea wat to do, im a s10 guy but got a 350 cuz the 4.3 isnt fast enough ahahha

please help!!!!! thanks

Old 10-15-2006 | 07:49 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: FUEL problem!!!

it don't sound promising. too much fuel is one thing. it getting into the crankcase is another. it could have some broke rings or the cylinder walls are wore out. on the other hand the heads could be shot. is it using oil ? the problems i have mentioned are usually evident by alot of blowback or heavy oil consumption. the unplugged sensor was maybe due to that was the only way he could get it to run in that condition. i guess the intake gasket could be leaking but, that usually draws oil into the fuel mixture not fuel into the oil. if i were you i would put a compression gauge on them cylinders. good place to start anyways. good luck with that. Sick

Old 10-15-2006 | 07:58 PM
|

well i havent heard it run yet, but the problem is that it wont start cuz its flooding, u can really smell the gas i think that trying to crank it over with out the mas unplugged would just pour it in there, leak past the rings and get into the oil. from wat i heard it starts and goes but just dies out. im just wonderin if it could be something else then the mas. by the way sick *** car

Old 10-15-2006 | 08:05 PM
Overdrive Member

An injector staying open maybe. Rings don't need to be broke for fuel to seep past them. Maybe a cylinder not fireing. Check your plugs. Are any wet?

Old 10-15-2006 | 08:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

thanks. i'm betting on something more. maybe some of the injection and sensor fiends can help ya more. Sick

Old 10-18-2006 | 08:47 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SickSickSick

thanks. i'm betting on something more. maybe some of the injection and sensor fiends can help ya more. Sick
i agree i think its a lil more than a cylinder open man id start checkin heads and wouldnt even try to start it until it was fixed, good luck but might of been a bad buy. 350DREAMS

Old 10-18-2006 | 10:47 AM
1st Gear Member

CHeck the fuel pressure regulator. Common for them to blow the internal valve and over fuel

Easy test would be to pull the vacuum line leading to it. If it doesn't have a aftermarket with a adjustable installed. If you have fuel in the vacuum line she is junk.

Also, put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail. Look at your reading with the vacuum hooked up to the reg. Then pull the vacuum off the reg. The fuel pressure should shot up. Doesn't shot up or is overtly high with the line hooked up you've got issues.

A plugged return line could also cause a enourmous spike in fuel. Same tests with the gauge. Pinch off the return line slightly and see if the pressure shoots up. This will also let you know if you have a leak somewhere else in the system.

Don't have the fuel pressure spec in front of me but I imagine it is somewhere around the 35 mark normally.

Old 10-18-2006 | 01:38 PM
Tech Droid

Before ripping the engine apart do as ******* repair stated. If you have TPI use the sticky in the LT1 section for testing fuel pump & pressure regulator. If you conclude you have a leaky injector, you can pull the fuel rail with the injectors attached, pressurize the fuel system by turning the key on & off several times & see if any of the injectors are dripping fuel. Avoid starting a fire.