Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   82-92 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-general-10/)
-   -   fuel line problem (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-general-10/fuel-line-problem-62719/)

4g63t 06-18-2011 05:44 PM

fuel line problem

the fuel line to the fuel filter was twisted but still tried to replace the fuel filter long story short the twisted line broke, so i need to know if its possible to just by the fuel line from the fuel filter back, i called a shop and they said had to custom make one

can i buy just that one line...

and if so where does that line start?

microkid 06-20-2011 11:54 AM

the line from the filter to the tank is one peice, and needs to have the tank dropped to remove it. you may need a new tank assembly as well. i would cut off the broken peice at the next straight shot, take it in to the store to match the size. then get a length of tubing and a compression fitting and just replace a small section. next time, use two line wrenches

4g63t 06-20-2011 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by microkid (Post 546368)
the line from the filter to the tank is one peice, and needs to have the tank dropped to remove it. you may need a new tank assembly as well. i would cut off the broken peice at the next straight shot, take it in to the store to match the size. then get a length of tubing and a compression fitting and just replace a small section. next time, use two line wrenches

i only had one wench and i was barly able to maneuver that while under there

why would i might need a new assembaly?

and can somebody tell me why an american car uses the metric system?

thats good usa spirit right there lets use foreign measurements lol

it broke right at the connection point

but i found a new/used line and i dont want to lay under the car and get a face full of gas when i remove that line so im might take it to a shop so my question is how long should it take to replace it and is there any other option besides towing it

microkid 06-21-2011 11:39 AM

you have to use two wrenches or else the line will break. guess you'll know that for future reference, huh? and it should not have been metric on the fuel lines, however other fasteners on the car are metric. its simply to make it less home mechanic friendly. im not sure how far the line goes until there is another connection. idk if its one peice of line from the pump to the filter, or if there is a seperation in between. no options besides towing it, and its going to be at leat $150 to get done at a shop, but you can do it for under $20. and if the filter is off, most of the gas will have drained out of the line. just make sure you left the gas cap off so the vapor pressure doesnt keep forcing fuel out

4g63t 06-21-2011 05:11 PM

i found a new line that im going to pick up......but that explains why 2 days later i wake up to a garage full of gas if i remove the gas cap no more gas is goin to come out?

djs383 06-21-2011 06:22 PM

It may still drain, but slower. Once vapor pressure builds up it'll push that fuel out of the line with pressure, not just gravity. You should have a way to at least plug it up. I used a wooded golf tee on a mustang once with vice grips....held until my new line arrived and didn't leak a drop.

microkid 06-22-2011 06:03 PM

once the fuel cap is off, the tank wont hold pressure and will keep it from forcing it out. thats why a loose gas cap is the number one cause of a check engine light