Few questions..

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Default Few questions..

Hey, so im 25, was born in 1984, I want to get a 1984 camaro Z28 because of the year and age. Plus it would be something good to pass down to my kids. BUT, the thing is, I don't know exactly WHAT i will be getting into when I buy one. I grew with my brothers always working on them, mainly my older brother Jeff was always swapping motors and tweaking things here and there. First car i ever drove was a 78-79 camaro that my brother had, told me to drive it down the road and back when i was 10. Thats what got me hooked on them, that thing had power out the ***!! I remember it to this day, barely touched the gas pedal and i was thrown into the seat and left marks down half the road from the tires spinning.

My question is, what are the normal troubles (if any) that come with having a 25 year old camaro? Aside from the body work that it may or may not need. I mean like motor wise, I already plan to swap out the motor for a 350 or 383 (assuming that hasn't already been done when I buy the car) , probably going to swap the rear (if it doesn't have posi) for a posi rear. Going to more then likely put a performance chip in it (is that a good idea to get more power for a everyday driver and still have decent enough gas milage?) going to get a new intake and probably bigger exhaust (Im more then likely going to have 2"-2 1/2" exhaust put on it since my brother always told me the bigger the exhaust the better air flow to or from the motor and more power). Might swap cams. These are all the things ive seen my brother do to his growing up, thats what makes me think its all good ideas. Tried asking my brother Jeff, but he is to wrapped up in his firebird now to give me any good ideas lol

Is there anything I can do to make it run like a beast but still get good gas milage? Im not trying to build a strip racer, but i want it to have power at least 400HP

Old 06-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

Sounds like your best option might be to go to a newer style engine such as an LS series in order to have the power, gas mileage and reliability

Old 06-11-2010, 12:08 PM
2nd Gear member

Fuel injection.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:37 PM
3rd Gear Member

Dont hope for anything better than 18 MPG out of a stock motor......10 MPG out of what you are trying to accomplish.

400 HP from a 350 is easy enough to do, but its also going to require new heads as well as a cam.

Common problem, in a 84? Finding one thats not beat to ****.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:29 PM

I found a few that were good looking, body was in excellent condition and the frame was still solid as ever. But i like doing body work, im good at it and paint, so im not worried bout body work. Its frame and sub-frame that id be more or less worried bout.

LS series eh? thats what they put in the 4th+ gen right? Would that bolt right in, and if i swap to a LS what kind of trans do i have to go with? Will i have to switch any of the gears or anything?

Ive decided to go with low profile tires 245-60-15's or 255-60-15's. plus switch out the stock suspension with urathane suspension bushings and bigger swaybars. Make it more controlable with that much power. Then for the stopping, i was going to get slotted rotors and brakes made for high speed stopping. i still want to have the option of being able to stop if i happen to decide to go fast.

And fuel injection is a good idea. i like FI, don't know crap bout carbs and even though im willing to learn im not trying to practice on mine lol if i screw that up then im screwed lol

See i figured getting 400 out of a 350 wouldn't be to hard, swap intakes and gain a easy 50 or more HP, bigger exhaust should add a few horses, throw headers get a few more.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:33 PM
2nd Gear member

i have an 84 im trying to sell right now if your intrested pm me

Old 06-14-2010, 08:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RuthlessZ28

Ive decided to go with low profile tires 245-60-15's or 255-60-15's. plus switch out the stock suspension with urathane suspension bushings and bigger swaybars. Make it more controlable with that much power. Then for the stopping, i was going to get slotted rotors and brakes made for high speed stopping. i still want to have the option of being able to stop if i happen to decide to go fast.

And fuel injection is a good idea. i like FI, don't know crap bout carbs and even though im willing to learn im not trying to practice on mine lol if i screw that up then im screwed lol

See i figured getting 400 out of a 350 wouldn't be to hard, swap intakes and gain a easy 50 or more HP, bigger exhaust should add a few horses, throw headers get a few more.
Sure, FI is a great idea......and will run you about 1500 bucks. Not to mention the ensuing electrical/programming nightmares.
A 'Brock carb, which takes almost NO adjustments, will run you less than 300
A Holley, which will give a bit more power and tuneability, (and a few more headaches) will run you 400.

A intake swap will NOT give you 50+ horsepower. DO NOT believe what you read. Just like when K&N claims '30 HP increase from cold air kit'.....its BS. Pure paper math. The ONLY thing will give you that much of an increase will be heads. Intake and carb will gain you 25-30.

I think you are headed in the right direction. Keep doing more research.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by ScottD
Sure, FI is a great idea......and will run you about 1500 bucks. Not to mention the ensuing electrical/programming nightmares.
A 'Brock carb, which takes almost NO adjustments, will run you less than 300
A Holley, which will give a bit more power and tuneability, (and a few more headaches) will run you 400.

A intake swap will NOT give you 50+ horsepower. DO NOT believe what you read. Just like when K&N claims '30 HP increase from cold air kit'.....its BS. Pure paper math. The ONLY thing will give you that much of an increase will be heads. Intake and carb will gain you 25-30.

I think you are headed in the right direction. Keep doing more research.

I didn't do any kind of research on intakes or anything, i was going by what my brother had told me and has been telling me since i was a child. When i was younger way younger, i always worked on them with my brother, BUT i was just a glorified tool monkey. I was never allowed to jump in and do stuff, it was always "Get me this socket, get me this ratchet. Give me that mallet.. etc" When i would ask questions is when he would tell me things. I asked him bout the intake bout a year ago and he told me it gives a good 50 or more horses.

I did do some research, mostly on motors to swap out and how much they are and if there are any round me that i can get from junk yards cheaper, but i found a ls series runs anywhere from 5 grand to 15grand. I can't afford that and no junk yard within 40 miles of me has any of them.

I found a really nice 84, only thing is i don't know if its set up for drag or not. heres the description of it-- sorry that its in all caps, im just copying and pasting it.

350 W/ VORTEX HEADS / SLOTTED ROCKERS / EDELBROOK PERFORMER INTAKE / EDELBROOK PERFORMER CAM AND LIFTERS / EDELBROOK 750CFM CARB / HEI IGNITION PETROMIX DIST. / HEADERS CERAMIC COATED / COMPLETELY REBUILT PERFORMANCE THM 350 TRANS / HUGHES 2200-2500 CONVERTOR / 10 BOLT 7.5" AXLE W/ AUBURN POSI CARRIER / 3.42 GEARS / MUCH MORE

I think it sounds good. It has everything i was pretty much already going to do, done. But i don't know crap about gears and i don't know if 3.42 gears are good or bad. I know edelbrock is the good stuff, i heard that HEI is the equivalent of edelbrock so those are like top of the line things there. I'm assuming that the Auburn Posi Carrier means it has posi traction. So im really figuring thats a good deal there. What do you all think, would it be worth it? The guy wants 5800 for it, but im going to attempt to talk him down to 55 or 5k at the least. Try to save a few dollars but still not try to rip him off.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:07 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

id say it better look really clean becauses thats a high price for an 84,,, as far as the struff thats in it, sounds like a good deal... and 340 ish gears will not kill you on gas mileage,,, its what ive got in mine right now and its not bad at all

Old 06-18-2010, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by DarkKnight
id say it better look really clean becauses thats a high price for an 84,,, as far as the struff thats in it, sounds like a good deal... and 340 ish gears will not kill you on gas mileage,,, its what ive got in mine right now and its not bad at all
Well it does look clean, no rust (at least it dont look rusted in the pics) but idk bout underneath yet. I looked up the kbb value of it and no matter how hard i looked the prices all came out to an average of 3500 for that car. More info on it, it has 160K+ miles on it, which i didnt know before, so im definately going to either talk him down to 3, maybe even 2500 for it. Its 26 and has almost 200k miles on it, can't really just throw out 5800 on it in blind faith ya know. For all i know it could die out on mty way home, then im out all that cash.

My brothers, both told me to talk the dealer down to at least 3500, take in the paperwork saying that it isnt worth 5800 and that it has so many miles on it that it wouldnt be worth that much no matter what. Go with cash in hand and say "This car isnt even worth what i have in my pocket, but ill give you 3500 for it, cash in hand. take it or leave it but nobody else is going to pay that much for it" im hoping that stratagy works lol

Quick Reply: Few questions..