Fact or fiction????

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Default Fact or fiction????

I was talking to an old hot rodder friend of mine about cars and engins and shared some secrets with me,
1. Pouring beer into your carb will help clean the valves ?
2. a TSP. of brake fluid in your tranny will help a tranny slip
Is any of this true??? I know there are some tricks to the trade but this seems unreal lol

Old 12-29-2009, 09:01 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

im going to have to say no to both. beer is about 85% water, all its going to do is kill the engine. any sort of cleaning effects will be less than carb/choke cleaner and fuel line cleaner.

as for the brake fluid, that wont help with a trans slip either. brake fluid is thinner than atf, and only brakes down with the high heat in a trans. however, i have heard that taking out the filter and putting in some saw dust will help keep the tranny from slipping for about 100 miles until it grenades. perfect for an auction sale.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:18 PM

I didnt think so , but didnt think farve would go to the vikings either lol, so i thought i would chat with others around the world, nad see what they thought

Old 12-29-2009, 09:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

There is an old timer trick to run water thru your engine, as it is running. The theory goes that it will turn to steam and clean out some of the carbon. I tried it years ago when I was a teeneger, a few tablespoons at a time. All it did was make my engine sputter.

The sawdust in the tranny is supposed to be a leak fixer. Just like putting a raw egg in your radiator.....

Old 12-29-2009, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

meth/water injection will clean out the motor . s/c 'd an turbo'd cars benefit greatly from this do to the cooling effect of the water also .

Old 12-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by opey84
I was talking to an old hot rodder friend of mine about cars and engins and shared some secrets with me,
1. Pouring beer into your carb will help clean the valves ?
2. a TSP. of brake fluid in your tranny will help a tranny slip
Is any of this true??? I know there are some tricks to the trade but this seems unreal lol
Actually yes (depending) to both.
1) Pouring beer into the carb (modestly as to not kill the engine) would have the same effect as water, which is supposed to have a steam cleaning reaction to loosen carbon buildups. I would presume that whoever came up with the beer idea must have had a lot of it in hand to give him that idea in the first place.
2) Brake fluid in the trans is supposed to help cure a slipping trans by swelling up leaky internal rubber seals. And that's if leaky internal seals are the cause of your slip. I haven't tried that one, especially since there are tried and tested products on the market that do work.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:47 AM
2nd Gear member

yeah the water thing does work, but u have to put in a little at a time, the reason it sputters is because ur now replacing air+fuel with water lol, u have to rev it up as not to stall, but after a little of that and there was a noticeable difference, not starting an engine in 8 years really has some effects!

Old 12-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Droid

Pour enough water/beer/wine/urine into the intake and you will get a good case of hydrolock, and after the engine is replaced it will be a different engine, and perhaps a clean one. lol

Last edited by z28pete; 12-30-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:33 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

it didnt do my outboard motor any good when it fell off the back of the boat and went in the drink. may have cleaned it but it didnt last long after we got it dried and running.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:07 AM

Jesus Christ that sounds risky... This is 2010. There is a product call SEAFOAM 100% petroleum that cleans your valves, lifters, intake, carb, whatever.

google it

Quick Reply: Fact or fiction????