Engine Swap??? (A series of questions)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Default Engine Swap??? (A series of questions)

Okay, here's the deal. I just bought a 1984 Camaro Berlinetta off my girlfriends dad (2.8L V6) that doesn't run and I was wondering if this motor is actually any fun to drive? Or should I swap it out for a V8? If so what is the cheapest way to get a nice, quick V8? I'm not looking to build a drag car just something that is fast but still drivable (like to work and back) What else will I need besides the motor? And how much am I looking to spend on such a build? Are V6 to V8 swaps still smoggable and street legal done right? Anything important I should know or be warned about engine swaps before attempting this? Please feel free to answer any or all of the questions in your post? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I dont know about the NV smog rules ( I live in ohio), but you could go with a 350 very easily. you will need the new exhaust also. you didnt mention the tranny type so I am not including that, but you will most likely need to upgrade that at some point if not replace right away

Old 05-06-2009, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by jim022659
I dont know about the NV smog rules ( I live in ohio), but you could go with a 350 very easily. you will need the new exhaust also. you didnt mention the tranny type so I am not including that, but you will most likely need to upgrade that at some point if not replace right away
well it has the stock automatic trans but I've been looking at our emissions out here and they're too stern for me to risk it right now. Sorry for wasting your time.

Last edited by LaTraceG; 05-06-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

if your wanting something with a bit more power than a 2.8 v6 but you don't want to go all the way to v8 you could maybe get a bigger v6, like a 3.8, 3.8's can be some fun if setup properly, a few simple engine mods, tune the computer (if equipped with a tunable computer) and some 4.10 or 3.73 gears in the rearend and you could probably have some fun with it. but thats just my opinion. Also 3.8's can be easily found at a junkyard as its a rather common engine, not sure the price though.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:55 PM
March 2008 ROTM

unless your gettin the berli super cheap, skip it. you WONT be satisfied and its kind of a big thing going from a v6 to a v8. Not impossible, but just get a v8 car already.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:44 PM

You know what... That 3.8L sounds kind of like something for me. Do you know where or what car i can find these in and if these fit on the original automatic transmission?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the 3.8 chevy engine comes in luminas, camaros, chevy vans,and probably other vehicles too, not sure about the transimission thing though, but i assume it would fit on to it. You'd have to check that out or maybe someone will post here that would know for sure. however i warn you, if you do decide to do this swap and you are a person who is really into powerful cars and things like that while you can make a 3.8 fast you may find yourself wanting a v8 after you've gotten used to it, i used to have a car with a 3.8 in it and thats what happened to me. But i'm kinda nuts about things like that, i'd drive a full blown race car around town if i had the money. lol

Old 05-09-2009, 08:11 AM
March 2008 ROTM

get one out of a camaro if your going to do it. there are billions of them out there.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by 350rs
unless your gettin the berli super cheap, skip it. you WONT be satisfied and its kind of a big thing going from a v6 to a v8. Not impossible, but just get a v8 car already.
x2... Save your money Bro, jus get it runnin and trade that someb**** in for a V8

Old 05-12-2009, 01:52 AM

Besides! when i think of V6 Camaros, i always tell myself WHY??? Well... Unless you have alot of money AND a big turbo then you have my attention. But, like i said, jus get it runnin man save the heart ache of doing a swap and trade that someb**** in for a V8

Quick Reply: Engine Swap??? (A series of questions)