EGR

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:37 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: EGR

do i really need to find better sources?

"A short chemistry lesson is in order here. It was discovered way back when, that high combustion chamber peak temperatures (the really short duration high temperatures near the end of the combustion process) caused oxygen and nitrogen to combine chemically and form these oxides of nitrogen mentioned above. Most of the anti-pollution devices of the day did a pretty good job of reducing the other bad by-products of combustion, namely excessive hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide, however they tended to induce the formation of oxides of nitrogen. Something had to be done else we would all die of smog diseases.

The automotive engineers figured that they needed to do something to lower the peak combustion temperatures which only occurred under certain high load driving conditions. They figured they could do so at the expense of power and fuel economy but what the heck, ya can't have everything! If they could only add something to the combustion chamber that would act like sort of a fire extinguisher to cool the combustion temperatures that would do it.

So they invented a way to allow some very inert gas to get back into the combustion chamber only when needed. They needed a source of this gas - it wasn't air, cuz that contains oxygen and nitrogen which caused the problem in the first place. So they chose carbon dioxide. Where to get a supply of carbon dioxide . . . ??? Hmmmm, how about the exhaust system? That is mainly carbon dioxide and water (plus a zillion other noxious chemicals) Suppose we allow some of the exhaust gas to get back into the intake manifold under strict control and only when we need it? That would cool the combustion chamber and prevent the formation of the NoX. Maybe we should call it recirculated exhaust gas (REG??). But a guy named Reginald voted no cuz he didn't want his name associated with a car part, so they called it exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) since there was nobody around with that name."

from: http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h61.pdf and credited to Toyota Motors

"The EGR system reduces NOx production by recirculating small amounts of exhaust gasses into the intake manifold where it mixes with the incoming air/fuel charge. By diluting the air/fuel mixture under these conditions, peak combustion temperatures and pressures are reduced."

when i said "cylinders" i meant "peak combustion temperatures."

either way you look at it, EGR can reduce predetonation, especially in forced induction applications.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:04 AM
March 2008 ROTM

well geez, i never ment to start an all out war between yall. But lets focus at my new question if ya could. Can i use the TBI throttle cable??

Old 02-13-2007, 02:13 AM
Overdrive Member

From my alldata
Description and Operation

PURPOSE
The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system lowers the NOx (Oxides of Nitrogen) emission levels created by the high combustion temperatures.

OPERATION
The EGR will open when the conditions of operation have been met. This allows the exhaust gasses to re-enter the combustion chamber. When too much exhaust gas is allowed to enter the chamber, the proper combustion will not occur. For this reason only very little exhaust gas is allowed to re-enter the combustion chamber.

Hot exhast gasses to cool? Sure , why not
Information, coreect or not,spreads on the internet like wild fire. One of the things I have noticedon F body FAQs is people ask about the extra wipe when turning off the wipers. The answer I always see is it is a glitch in the IC circuit. I think one person came up with this answer and many others just rewrote it in thier own words for thier web pages. I know this answer to be incorrectbecause I have opened the wiper motors and found why there is an extra wipe. And saying there is a glitch in the Intergrated Circuit circuit is silly.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:17 AM
Overdrive Member

350rs you started it now sucka!
You could check summit for adapters. I have seen many but dont know if there is one for your needs. You may just have to get a cable for a carbed Camaro

Old 02-13-2007, 02:36 AM
2nd Gear member

The EGR does its job by preventing combustion temps from rising as much. It does this by reducing the amount of burnable gases in the chamber. It does no active cooling. The notion that hot exhaust gases would cool the chamber is just silly, since they aren't even in there long enough to have any effect on the ambient tempriture, just on how much heat is released by combustables. References are from The seventh edition of "Computerized Engine Controlls" By Steve Hatch, and is actively recognized as a credible source by the EPA and trade schools across the country. Now if anyone questions it, I've already put up my side of the argument.[/align][/align]As for that throttle cable, like Mike said, there may be an adapter, but you can probably get one on the cheap at a junk yard.[/align]

Old 02-13-2007, 04:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

if the book weren't $60 used, i'd buy that to further educate myself.

popular belief in the import world is that keeping EGR makes tuning a turbocharged engine safer in the case of a mistake in the tuning. a couple years back i read what must have been 30 whitepapers and tech articles on EGR and its functions on turbocharged engines that were pushing the limits of boost at the time. everything noted that the presence of EGR lowered EGTs and cars equipped with EGR had fewer predetonation failures. of course the testing procedures were far from scientific, but it's still a trend that goes on today. guys that plan on installing a turbo keep their EGR, usually going through great lengths to keep it functioning properly, while the naturally aspirated guys take it off or somehow disable it ASAP.

as for the cable, i'd hit the junkyard. my local self-pull has a few camaros laying about, and a couple are carbed. if that doesn't work, go new.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=656&ptset=A fits 82-87, carbed

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=656&ptset=A fits 88-92, doesn't specify

Old 02-13-2007, 01:19 PM
March 2008 ROTM

alright, cheep enough, thanks guys

Old 02-13-2007, 06:04 PM
2nd Gear member

If it makes you feel better, my schools bookstore didn't have it used, so I had to buy a new copy for about $100.