EGR

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 12:45 AM
March 2008 ROTM
Default EGR

Buyin a 4 bbl manifold for my 350. a little later a carb and new distributor...

question is. Do i need the EGR? does it hurt anything to have it? I will be emissions exempt soon, but not in time for my next "checkup". But this stuff wont be done untill after anyway. I was looking into a performer manifold with matching carb, prolly 600 or 650 CFM.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: EGR

EGR cools your cylinders down some. that's about all it really does. it allows your engine to use less fresh air and fuel. ditch it and you probably won't see any loss or gain anywhere.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:19 AM
March 2008 ROTM

then its gone, no computer issues right?

Old 02-12-2007, 01:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well, i'm not exactly experienced with modding one of these, but i would expect one if you ripped everything out. in my honda, we just used blockoff plates and kept everything else in place. you could easily pass inspection this way as well.

you could probably get a reprogrammed PROM for your ECU, though. this could eliminate your EGR code. again, it's something i've done with honda, but not with GM.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:01 AM
2nd Gear member

If you're swapping to a carb, you probably aren't going with a feedback carb, are you? 'Cause if you're ditching the EFI, and going emisions exempt, you'd might as well do without all of it, with the exception of the EVAP system. The EGR is probably the absolutely most restrictive and performance inhibiting piece of emissions crap on the car, and also produces the fewest improvements in emissions. Besides, who really cares if there's a little more NOx in the air?

Old 02-12-2007, 02:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yea, removing the EGR won't do anything to the computer. TPIS sells EGR block off plates for the TPI manifold. (don't matter to you cause you're going carb but just F.Y.I). I removed my EGR because it hurts performance. I'd take it off....if you had to pass emissions, you'd probably have to have it.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:18 AM
Overdrive Member

EGR does exactly what is named for. It recirculates exhaust gas to burn it some more. It does not cool. The only harm it does is on the sniffer and if you dont need to go through that then you dont need it.
I had a former employer with a 78 Chevy P/U with a 454 and he gutted the cat and air pump and had an Edelbrock non egr manifold on it. To go through smog he welded some bolt heads onto an egr vavle and JB welded it to the manifold because here we have to keep the original equipment. Hooked a vacuum hose to it and passed smog with a valve that led to nowhere. The numbers for the old truck that were allowed were so high it was easy to pass. And the dummys at the smog place could not tell a non egr intake when it stared them in the face.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGR

i may be a honda guy, but i know emissions.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:44 PM
March 2008 ROTM

a thought came to mind while i was at work thinking about everything... what about the throttle cable??? Can i just use the TBI cable? if so, how would i go about making it work with the carb?

Old 02-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Overdrive Member

The egr lowers the nox thatis created due to high combustion chamber tempatures by recirculating the gasses.. It does not cool cylinders. That would be done by the circulation of antifreeze/coolant around them. Dont always trust wikipedia. Though it is better than I am I have noticed incorrect entries in it.