dies out at half throttle

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default dies out at half throttle

i just had a shop replace the tv cable, i have 1990 3.1 v6

and when driving it home at half throttle to WOT theres no power

is this due to the tv cable or tranny issue, or would this be a fuel issue?

i would like to know before i go and adjust the cable

Old 06-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Can you tell if the transmission is downshifting on it's own? Try putting the shifter in a lower gear manually and see if that changes things. That will at least tell you if the engine is bogging naturally because of the trans staying in too high of a gear, or if it's an engine issue. Use common sense when downshifting manually....not downshifting when you shouldn't be (going too fast for a certain gear).

Old 06-15-2011, 10:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Can you tell if the transmission is downshifting on it's own? Try putting the shifter in a lower gear manually and see if that changes things. That will at least tell you if the engine is bogging naturally because of the trans staying in too high of a gear, or if it's an engine issue. Use common sense when downshifting manually....not downshifting when you shouldn't be (going too fast for a certain gear).
you lost me. so let me know if this is what you your saying. put it in low gear drive it and see if it dies out at half throttle-wot?

you lost me talking about downshifting

Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Instead of having the transmission shift into a lower gear on it's own (downshifting), which it might not be doing, put the shifter into a lower gear yourself. If you're not sure about where to safely downshift manually, start the car out in 1st and upshift through the gears yourself and then see if the engine bogs down at all.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

so if i do that and i still have no power at halfthrottle-wot its a fuel issue

but if it works and goes right its a tranny issue?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

1) A possible fuel issue.
2) Yes.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

so should i shift down while at half throttle to see if it picks up? or should i shift down then go to half throttle

Old 06-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you were to assume you might have a fuel starvation problem at half throttle or beyond, then it wouldn't matter which gear you're in when you bury the gas pedal to the floor. Starting the car out in first manually, and up-shifting manually, while giving it some heavy throttle will tell if it's starving out or not. Since you're asking how, that way might be a safer way for you, instead of downshifting it manually. I don't want you to break anything. And while you're driving the car normally, see if you can get a feel for when the transmission is shifting up and down on it's own.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

my rpm gauge does not work

ill see what i can tell but i cant read back rpms

Old 06-15-2011, 12:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

from i got on another forum they told me to rev the car in park and see if it would rev and its not reving right in park it wont rev at wot or half throttle so is that deff fuel or could that still be something with the tranny and i should try what you said,

Quick Reply: dies out at half throttle