A couple of interior questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 07:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default A couple of interior questions

I just bought a 85 IROC for a project car, my current plan is to start with the interior. I plan on pretty much redoing or replacing everything, before I do have a few questions that I'm hoping someone here can help me with:

1) The headliner needs to be replaced, I've found quite a few sources online that sell ABS plastic replacements. This seems like the way to go, just want to make sure there are no known issues or problems with these.

2) I'm very confused by what to do with the seats. The driver side is power, but the previous owner did something to it (replaced the covers, perhaps) so now the power seat switch is zip tied to the wires and just dangling by the seat. Separate of that, the seat has a big tear in the cover and the foam. And, the passenger side seat reclining mechanism seems to be broken, you can take the seat back and move it forward and back without touching any of the levers. Looking online, I found the foam seats and a ton of covers, but nothing relating to the power seat bezel or the passenger seat mechanism. So, I'm not sure if I should try to find some full used seats and re-foam and re-cover or what. Suggestions?

3) Finally, I'm changing the interior color from the existing red to...well, something else. Probably black. Is there a good plastic paint I can use to paint the trim pieces or am I better off trying to find new/used ones in the color I want?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:49 AM
4th Gear Member

1) Check local auto reupholstery shops first. The price may be better then the on-line abs that you have to do yourself.
2) Passenger seat movement is normal. Seat that old are not worth repairing. 4th gen seats would be a better choice.
3) Try to find new/used interior parts....E-bay or Classic ind, for example

Old 07-24-2011, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Some recover headliners w/speaker cloth. It looks good, and lasts longer than factory cover.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If I go with the 4th gen seats, do I need to purchase the tracks and everything or just the seats? And if I go with those, can they be bolted directly in or is some modification needed? Thanks.

For the headliner, they have some that are plastic, with foam backing and already covered for less than $200. The one in my car is literally destroyed, the board is torn up in addition to the cloth.

Last edited by fronzizzle; 07-24-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I was told... the covered headliners are "flocked". Like a spray on stuff. This isn't the greatest, but there may be better ones out there now. If that were the case, I would get the uncovered ones and do them myself.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:59 PM
4th Gear Member

The 4th gen seats bolt in right in (front & rear)......For $200 & DIY out of the question. Let the local shop do it, that why they call it a reupholstery from start to finish.

Attached Thumbnails A couple of interior questions-new-seats-2002.jpg   A couple of interior questions-4th-gen-rear-seats.jpg  
Old 07-24-2011, 06:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

Just a word of advice. If you plan on painting the car, I would not do the interior first, as some of it will need to be removed to do a proper paint job. However if you still plan on starting there first, I will second black's suggestion of using a local upholstry shop. Those guys are every bit as talented as body/paint guys and do some very amazing stuff for way cheaper than you would think.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the advice, I'll be looking for a shop tomorrow.

I took apart the interior today, I found that the up and down parts of the power seat don't work. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to make sure that I replace whatever mechanical and electrical issues there are before getting the seats re-done right? And typically speaking, will a reupholster shop replace/fix the problems with the actual foam seat or will they only recover?

Old 07-25-2011, 04:29 PM
4th Gear Member

here's what happens when you don't post much, people forget you

https://camaroforums.com/forum/proje...oration-55747/

that's the 89 that I just did. I replaced everything that you are inquiring and I did it all myself.

You can see re-skinned seats, the abs headliner, new sunvisors and rugs. I believe i even say where i bought them

good luck

Old 07-25-2011, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
here's what happens when you don't post much, people forget you

https://camaroforums.com/forum/proje...oration-55747/

that's the 89 that I just did. I replaced everything that you are inquiring and I did it all myself.

You can see re-skinned seats, the abs headliner, new sunvisors and rugs. I believe i even say where i bought them

good luck
Am I missing something? I clicked on the budget restoration and I couldn't find the pics.

Quick Reply: A couple of interior questions