Can't start my 1991 Camaro Z28

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 02:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Can't start my 1991 Camaro Z28

I am trying to start my Camaro after about 5 years of storage. The battery is new, the engine turns over, I know I am getting a spark because I took a plug out and cranked it. I must not be getting any fuel. The tank is full from when I put it into storage. Is there any way to prime the fuel system to get it some gas. I'm not used to the TPI since my older Camaros' were carburated. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:56 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Can't start my 1991 Camaro Z28

If it's been sitting for 5 years, did you put fuel stabilizer in it? There's a good chance that if you didn't, there's some blockage in the fuel system somewhere. I'd do a fuel pressure test on it before I tried anything else.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Overdrive Member

I agree with Fluffy. But I would not mess with the old fuel. % years is long. I would syphon the tank, put new fuel in and disconect a fuel line near the engine and cycle the key to see if fuel comes out. The pump may be bad or the lines plugged with old fuel. If fuel comes out then keep cycling the ley until it pump new fuel out.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Can I just disconnect the line at the engine and turn the engine over to see if fuel is coming out? Or, do I need to relieve pressure first? I have a full tank. What do I do with all that fuel? If fuel come out what is my next step?

Sorry for all the questions.

sante.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:43 PM
2nd Gear member

You've gotta get rid of it, it's not gonna be any good any more. I think you probably ought to drop your tank and clean it out, too, so you don't contaminate the new stuff. Once you've verified the functioning of the pump, I would still run a pressure test, to be sure you're getting the proper pressure. The unregulated fuel pressure should be about 50 to 60 psi, if it's anything less, there's probably a clog in the system somewhere. You will definitely need to replace the old filter, so do that before you put new fuel in, this will also let you drain the old fuel out of the lines. Also, you'll want to get power to the pump by jumping the terminals on the wiring harness for the fuel pump relay, not by turning the engine over, since you won't be able to hear the pump come one with the motor cranking, and if you don't get pressure, you'll be able to tell if the pump is working or not. After you verify pressure, move on to flow volume. You should get about a pint of gas from running the pump for 30 seconds. if you get a good deal less than that, check it closer to the pump, and see if it's a clog, or a bad pump. I know it's alot of work, but this is why you should put some stabilizer in the tank and run it for 10 or 15 minutes before putting them in storage.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for all the info!! Could I do a quick check by disconnecting the line to the engine and cranking it over and see if fuel is coming out? This would verify if the pump is working or not.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

you don't won't to do that. depending on where stored condensation may have built up on the inside top of the tank. if it did the tank is full of rust. that sucker needs to come out and be inspected. if there is rust your best bet is to just replace the tank. however you can get most of the rust out through the top opening. 5 years is long enough for gas to gel. noway around it ... drop the tank. Sick

Old 12-04-2006, 09:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

OK, thanks. I'll have to drop the tank I guess. Do I need to empty it first? What is the easiest way to empty the tank?

Old 12-04-2006, 09:47 PM
2nd Gear member

Not if the ****'s turned to gel. You're probably gonna have to drop it full, and be carefull about it when you do it, the things gonna be damn heavy.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My GM shop manual says that the rear end needs to be removed!! Do I need any fancy tools to drop the rear end or does it need to be done by a professional?

Quick Reply: Can't start my 1991 Camaro Z28