Can you help me to identify the year of this submerged camaro we found?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Default Can you help me to identify the year of this submerged camaro we found?

We found this camaro Z28 in local lake south of St. Paul Alberta Canada using side scan sonar. It has no motor or licence plate. It is upside down with sediment covering the windows. All we can tell looking in is the car has red and white leather seats. Can you have a look at the video and help me to determine what year it could be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4boVOnAggU

Old 01-27-2011, 09:00 PM

Defiantly an 85-92...Does it have 3rd brake light? if so where at?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

What a waste of a perfectly good camaro.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

Um.....how does a un-wrecked, engine-less camaro with after market rims and all its body parts make it into 14 feet of water.....upside down?

Cool video BTW. Ive always wanted to do that ****. I still get awestruck at pictures of submerged WWII aircraft and boats.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:53 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It's badged a Z28, so you're looking at an 85-87, or a 91-92. If it had been an '88-90, it would have only IROC-Z badges. Based on what I can see in 1:45-1:50, I think it does not have a spoiler-mounted brake light, which makes it either an 85 or an 86. If it has a brake light mounted to the top of the rear windshield, it's an '86.

St. Paul is pretty close to where I live, mind if I ask which lake it's in?

Are you planning to do anything with this car or are you just posting an interesting clip?

Old 01-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Default Third brake light?

Originally Posted by 87_ReD-IrOcZ
Defiantly an 85-92...Does it have 3rd brake light? if so where at?
The lake sediment nearly covers the rear window - on the next dive we will try to look better as it seems to be important to nail down the year. Good tip.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Default Theory on how the car got there...

Originally Posted by ScottD
Um.....how does a un-wrecked, engine-less camaro with after market rims and all its body parts make it into 14 feet of water.....upside down?

Cool video BTW. Ive always wanted to do that ****. I still get awestruck at pictures of submerged WWII aircraft and boats.
The car is located in Lac Ste. Cyr, south of St. Paul, Alberta, Canada

The Town of St. Paul pumps water from the North Saskatchewan River to Lac Ste. Cyr (to help maintain water levels) and then takes water from the lake and treats it. As a result, there is a portion of the lake that has thin ice or no ice during winter. I suspect the car was stolen, the engine removed and to get rid of it the car could have been aimed towards the open water and pushed towards the thin ice until it broke through. We reported our find to the police and they were mainly concered if there is anything in the car (?) and this is hard to tell because the lake sediment is nearly covering up the windows. I too are very intrigued to find wrecks, as there always is a story behind them! : )

Old 01-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Default Is ther anything useful on the car?

Originally Posted by Saint Ebony
It's badged a Z28, so you're looking at an 85-87, or a 91-92. If it had been an '88-90, it would have only IROC-Z badges. Based on what I can see in 1:45-1:50, I think it does not have a spoiler-mounted brake light, which makes it either an 85 or an 86. If it has a brake light mounted to the top of the rear windshield, it's an '86.

St. Paul is pretty close to where I live, mind if I ask which lake it's in?

Are you planning to do anything with this car or are you just posting an interesting clip?
I posted the google map, the location on the map is not exactly where the car is, it is on the South-East end of the lake.

I don't plan on doing anything with the car - I don't think anything would be salvageable??? Then again maybe - I know if the car was turned over, it like would be showing it shiny paint (where it was not exposed to light) - the algae growth on it is very slimy and sticky - you can really rub it off with your hands. : )

Old 01-28-2011, 04:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

I would be interested to know the story behind it, hopefully it wasn't used for foul play.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:23 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

well, being under water, it wont rust out as fast. especially in the cold water. i dont think it would be worth recovering and trying to repair. i say leave it there, maybe someone else will find it in 40 years when it would become a little more desireable

Quick Reply: Can you help me to identify the year of this submerged camaro we found?