Buying 3rd Gen Camaro - What To Look For?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Default Buying 3rd Gen Camaro - What To Look For?

Hi All, I am a newbie here, looking to buy a 3rd Camaro Z28 or IROC Z - most likely an 86/87 5.0L carby model, preferably a manual.

I love these cars, but don't have much experience with them, so I would love to get a few pointers on what to look for as far as common problems (areas of rust, mechanical dramas) etc or anything else that you think may be helpful.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Quinny.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

For starters, is there any particular reason you're looking to go carbureted? The TPI engines will give you more power stock for stock, after all. You're not going to find one after '86 in any case. '87 and up all V8 engines had TBI or TPI intakes.

Offhand, I'm gonna suggest watching for smoke on start-up and to try and feel out the transmissions- the manuals in the 3rd-gens were not particularly tough, and especially if you plan to do a bit of modding you're going to want to beef it up or replace it.

Aside from that there'll be the usual squeaks and rattles; we are talking about cars that are over 20 years old, after all.

And I'll have to let the others mention anything else they can come up with.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:49 AM

Thanks Saint Ebony.

The reason I am looking at the carby models is mostly for purchase price - I am looking for one that needs a little work (nothing major) because this is basically a side project for me. Carby is also alot easier to tune, and the engine won't be staying standard for long anyway - I will be doing a rebuild, possibly a stroker, nice cam, nothing crazy just nice power for a cruiser - around 350hp should do the trick. If I can find an injected one for a decent price, then I will be happy to go with it.

I think the Camaros use a T5 gearbox don't they - similar to the Mustang? They are not the best, but I am not looking for huge power. There are a couple of places in Australia that upgrade the T5 to be a bit stronger. Or there is the option of a T56...

Sqeaks and rattles I can deal with, as long as there are no major rust spots or major mechanical problems that I have to deal with, I think it could be a fun project.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:55 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Saint Ebony
For starters, is there any particular reason you're looking to go carbureted? The TPI engines will give you more power stock for stock, after all. You're not going to find one after '86 in any case. '87 and up all V8 engines had TBI or TPI intakes.

Offhand, I'm gonna suggest watching for smoke on start-up and to try and feel out the transmissions- the manuals in the 3rd-gens were not particularly tough, and especially if you plan to do a bit of modding you're going to want to beef it up or replace it.

Aside from that there'll be the usual squeaks and rattles; we are talking about cars that are over 20 years old, after all.

And I'll have to let the others mention anything else they can come up with.
87 was the last year of the carb. its 88 and up that dont have carbs

Old 05-06-2009, 06:36 AM
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by mtn_maro
87 was the last year of the carb. its 88 and up that dont have carbs
Well, if I'm mistaken I blame it on Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-g...et_Camaro#1986

Old 05-06-2009, 06:43 AM

I had another look around and it seems that injected Camaros are actually quite rare in Australia - it seems that the people who have them want to hold onto them. I could only find about 20 3rd Gen Camaros for sale in Aus, in varying condition, and pretty much all are carby 84 - 86 models. I found an 89 RS which is injected, but that is about it.

Can you guys please have a look at this link and let me know what you think? It looks ok to me. Don't forget that the price is Aus $$ not US, that is actually quite cheap compared to some...

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...d=120A1E764C57

Old 05-06-2009, 09:09 AM
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Doing price conversion that seems pretty expensive to me, it's $11,000 Canadian where I paid $9000 for a newer one with TPI and with fewer kilometers on it, and still had people saying I paid too much.

Aside from that it's very pretty and if you can argue him down I'd say go for it.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:20 PM
2nd Gear member

yeah wiki is wrong. my 87 came stock carburated

Old 05-07-2009, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Saint Ebony
Doing price conversion that seems pretty expensive to me, it's $11,000 Canadian where I paid $9000 for a newer one with TPI and with fewer kilometers on it, and still had people saying I paid too much.

Aside from that it's very pretty and if you can argue him down I'd say go for it.
You need to remember too that they are alot more common in the US than Australia - There are only about 20 3rd Gen Camaros for sale in Aus that I have found, there are a few cheaper that need more work, and there are a few that are more expensive. Also the milage is in kilometers, not miles, so it is only 86000 miles.

This one looks about the best for the money I have found. Do you think that -it looks ok condition-wise? The guy that owns it says that he was really keen to keep everything original, so it is all original except for a woodgrain steering wheel and an aftermarket stereo.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:00 AM
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm Canadian, and so's my car. Kilometers are par for the course

Although, the cars are a bit more common around here; I've seen at least 20 just in the city in the past year.

As far as the car you posted, it looks great from the pictures. Go have a look, see what you think, you'll have to make up your own mind as to whether it's worth the money or not.

Quick Reply: Buying 3rd Gen Camaro - What To Look For?