Bus pass in my future?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:38 PM

What's up with this chip key on this car? Can that go bad and cause the car to not start? And if it is bad, how do I get another one?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 AM
4th Gear Member

on May 17, 2012 I suggested that you get a factory service manual from either ebay or amazon. Well, here you are over 3 weeks later still asking what ifs and I gather you did not purchase the manual. There are qty 10 on ebay right now. They have the wiring diagrams and what to check and read for voltages

We can't really help those who aren't helping themselves. Get the manual

A soldier in the military might know how to hunt and shoot a shotgun and rifle but guess what, they are given specifics about their equipment because there are nuances.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:53 PM

Ohhhh, ouch! I didn't realize that Forums are a one time deal and then off you go. My bad. I'll have to read the SOG's on proper owners group forum etiquette I guess.

And by the way torque I respect all that you've done to help me and I'm very thankful for that. But I haven't updated you on ALL the things I've done to date. That would be far too much typing and the only thing I'm worse at than electrical work is typing.

I do have a manual. Had one since day one. But even with it I'm still reaching dead ends. I'm pretty convinced that the alarm system was the culprit. And I'm currently doing everything I can to change the wiring back. I just noticed the chip for the first time yesterday and wondered if it could tie into anything.

A soldier in the military can stand trial for war crimes but not be convicted of his apparent short comings until all evidence is presented.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:46 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Awsomo 4000
Ohhhh, ouch! I didn't realize that Forums are a one time deal and then off you go. My bad. I'll have to read the SOG's on proper owners group forum etiquette I guess.

And by the way torque I respect all that you've done to help me and I'm very thankful for that. But I haven't updated you on ALL the things I've done to date. That would be far too much typing and the only thing I'm worse at than electrical work is typing.

I do have a manual. Had one since day one. But even with it I'm still reaching dead ends. I'm pretty convinced that the alarm system was the culprit. And I'm currently doing everything I can to change the wiring back. I just noticed the chip for the first time yesterday and wondered if it could tie into anything.

A soldier in the military can stand trial for war crimes but not be convicted of his apparent short comings until all evidence is presented.
it's actually a resistor in the key

it can be bypassed and is called VATS bypass with VATS meaning (vehicle anti-theft system)

Let me google that for you

Old 06-11-2012, 03:13 PM

Thank you sir for the information.

I will now beat this dead horse no more.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:49 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Awsomo 4000
Thank you sir for the information.

I will now beat this dead horse no more.

not at all

most of these cars have suffered from years of neglect and modifications done by mickey mouse

the factory service manual is invaluable because it shows how the car should be wired.

I gave up on a few things and just ran new wiring and followed the shop manual on what should be connected to what. Why would my window switches only work some of the time is a prime example.............run new wiring and be done with it is what i did.

Also, with the age of these vehicles it is prudent to replace connectors when they are questionable

I hate chasing gremlins (not the car) and wiring on older cars is a breeding ground for those pesky gremlins

It's now starting on the 4th gen (95Z) and since it's going off line for a couple weeks I'll chase a few gremlins with it as well.