Bus pass in my future?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Default Bus pass in my future?

Hey guys, if any of your responses to my question is "have it looked at by a certified technician" I'll completely understand.

But being that A.) I have always tinkered with my own cars, and B.) Am flat broke and can't afford a shop bill, I'm gonna either get to the bottom of this mess I call a car or I'm donating it to the local fire department for Jaws Training.

It now intermittently starts when it feels like it. I got stranded the other day. No lights, chimes, nothing. Tried to jump it, nothing. We could not get the thing to wake up and do anything so I had it towed.

The garage looked at it and said nothing was found. It started right up for them the next day. They said something about a loose positive but I disagree. I checked and shook every connector in that thing.

Go to pick it up last night, no problem. Go to start it this morning - problem. I'm this close to throwing in the towel on this thing!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:21 AM
4th Gear Member

where are you located?

Old 05-16-2012, 09:39 AM

Southeast Wisconsin

Old 05-16-2012, 10:01 AM

Just thought of something.

The other day when I was shifting it from park to drive it just died on me. It started right back up but I discounted it as possibly being a hiccup from being too cold and the fact that I didn't let it warm up and let the idle come down.

Could there be a switch of some sort in my transmission (or shifter) that could be causing this?

But then again, that wouldn't account for the "totally dead" situation that I'm experiencing. If it was something like that I'd probably still have interior lights and power to everything.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:19 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

a complete loss of power to all systems would indicate a bad connection at the positve or negitive battery terminal or (assumming newer camaros have box) the power juction box (small red plastic box on the passenger side fenderwell by the battery). could be a bad ground but would have to be at the ground junction(next to the power junction box) to effect all systems. do you have a aftermarket alarm system or aftermarket amp. take the battery cables lose and wire brush the heck outa the cable ends and battery terminals. take the wires lose from the power junction box and wire brush them, do the ground wires when done reconnecting the power wires. lol, dont want to mix them up.

Last edited by craby; 05-16-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:50 AM

Yeah the kid that owned it before me HAD an alarm system in it. He has some goofy light on the center console that I found was not attached. He wired a stereo in the thing and it all looks like chopped liver!

I'll do just what you said to it when I get home tonight. Keep your Fingers crossed for me man.

I should have ran like hell when I seen this thing but Noooooooooo.......

Old 05-16-2012, 04:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

it would not surprise me if it was the alarm or amp shorting or failing.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:14 PM

exhausted all resources in finding a bad connection/ground.

Took everything off the battery and that junction box you spoke of and nothing. Got new connectors and everything is sprayed with the corrosion protective spray and the thing is still dead as a door nail.

Someone spoke of a Distributor Chip? Anyone know what the heck that is? Where I find it, and of what significance this may play in my problem?

Old 05-16-2012, 11:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ignition module will cause a no start like you explain but it will not effect the power to lights. do you have a aftermarket alarm on it? best thing would be to carry a volt tester and when it does it, find out where the power stops.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:48 AM

No craby, no alarm on it. I'm assuming one was installed by the previous owner and possibly removed before we bought the thing. If that's the case then an alarm would be a moot point yes?

It's really baffling. It's almost as though it gathers and stores what little power it can because if you leave it sit over night like I just did, turn the ignition on and try to start it, you get a pukie little whine from the ignition chime and then it tapers off.

No start, no lights, no nothing. Just a little sound when you put the key in and the door is open.

I'm thinking I'm gonna have to get off my wallet and have someone with the right equipment (and know how) tackle this. But I do thank you for taking me this far with the thing. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Bus pass in my future?