blown motor and transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 06:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default blown motor and transmission help

hey guys iv got a 1988 v6 and the transmission went out on it so im going to have the engine and tran replaced with a rebuilt 350 and brand new turbo 350 tranny. i went to my local custom shop and theyre selling me both and giving me a front suspension upgrade for 2,660.00 im just wondering if this is a good price or not. from what iv researched it seems like and extremely good deal. any feedback would be appreciated along with any other advice.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:51 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

that sounds to good to be true,,,, and you know what they say. on the other hand times are tough. is this a licensed business with history? have you asked around if anyone has used this place? ask why the good deal and you may get an honest answer or not.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
that sounds to good to be true,,,, and you know what they say. on the other hand times are tough. is this a licensed business with history? have you asked around if anyone has used this place? ask why the good deal and you may get an honest answer or not.

thats exactly what i thought. and yeah theyre licensed there a very popular custom shop around my area and iv looked at a lot of the stuff they've done and they do extremely good work on the outside. as for under the hood iv never seen anyone's experience. but i did ask em about the transmission and engine they sed he had got the transmission in for sum1 else but they backed out and he keeps engines stocked. its not completely rebuilt he said but he replaced all the parts that needed replaced and cleaned the whole thing and had it machined. other than that he just sed he felt bad for me cuz of my situation.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:26 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like he is not going anywhere. go for it. any warranty

Old 12-25-2011, 07:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

sounds like he is not going anywhere. go for it. any warranty
one year on both transmission and engine.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:41 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ask if you can help. learn and quality control. lol.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:06 AM
4th Gear Member

I yanked my engine and tranny myself

I had the engine rebuilt at a very LOW COST shop annd it was $1300 plust tax

new belts, hoses fluids were all added by me

I brought the 700r4 tranny for a bench rebuild, new tc, new sprag and sunshell and that was around $500

fluid and mount were on me

So, my total nut was about $2200 and I did all the labor myself

I did not need new springs as I have a v8 vehicle

so, something smells fishy about one or both of the items

you know you aren't getting 2 rebuilt items plus labor for that little cash

so, something is basically a used item but you roll the dice

good luck

Old 12-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If this is a good hot rod type shop my guess would be the drive line was removed from a customers car to upgrade it. They may know the engine if it is a regular customer. Agian it ia just a guess but the have some parts from previous up grades for the suspension.

Other then that the price does not make sense. Rebuild master kits for the 700R4 can run $400 selling a just repaired one for $500 makes no sense. there is going to be 14-16 hour worth of time to do the swap assuming the guy know what everything that is involved so the $1000-1200 just in labor addin all the little stuff your going to need and the works out he is all but giving the engine for free.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ask if you can help. learn and quality control. lol.
actually the deal was that they sell me the new transmission and put the engine in and upgrade my suspension with no cost of labor bcuz im gonna help em. im hoping they just felt some christmas spirit and gave me a good deal to help me out.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
I yanked my engine and tranny myself

I had the engine rebuilt at a very LOW COST shop annd it was $1300 plust tax

new belts, hoses fluids were all added by me

I brought the 700r4 tranny for a bench rebuild, new tc, new sprag and sunshell and that was around $500

fluid and mount were on me

So, my total nut was about $2200 and I did all the labor myself

I did not need new springs as I have a v8 vehicle

so, something smells fishy about one or both of the items

you know you aren't getting 2 rebuilt items plus labor for that little cash

so, something is basically a used item but you roll the dice

good luck
i thought the same thing believe me. the lowest cost rebuilt 350 iv found was 1200. transmission was the same and idk anything bout suspension. i asked the owner of the place who is the one who gave me the deal and he said he honestly doesnt have a clue why he's not charging me more and like i said they said i was gonna be helping throughout the whole swap and im painting the engine myself. i asked about the engine and he said he keeps engines stocked up and he doesnt rebuild them completely he just replaces the parts needed.

Quick Reply: blown motor and transmission help