big race on the 23rd need fast tips!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 12:35 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: big race on the 23rd need fast tips!!

it will fly for bout 2secs, then BAM. then alot of smoke.............

Old 09-04-2006, 12:58 AM
2nd Gear member

Stock pistons wouldn't be my choice either, but they hold up better than you think, my cuz in an 85 iroc ran his with nos for over a year.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

how many horses would you expect from the roller rockers?And you are right about the nos but a 50 shot would only kill your car if you shoot it too early in the rpm.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:27 AM
3rd Gear Member

NOS will not blow up if You install and use it right. A 50 - 100 shot and the pistons will hold up fine. Don't go any bigger. I'll explain it like I've done in other forums. Nitrous Oxide is nothing more than an Oxygen carrier. When You increase the oxygen sent to the engine, it has the ability to make more power because it has more oxygen to burn. Since You're increasing the amount of oxygen, You have to provide the extra fuel needed to burn that oxygen. If the extra oxygen is supplied without the proper amount of fuel, An extreme lean condition exists which creates a tremendous amount of heat causing the pistons to melt. At the same time, You must retard the timing so the added oxygen and fuel have more time to burn. It's always safe to run the N2O fuel jet a little richer which aids in the cooling. Guys, don't be afraid of this stuff, just be seneible and cautious when You use it. Don't put a kit on Your car that is too much for the engine to handle, a stock engine will handle 50 - 100 shot without too much trouble. You will hear the terms " wet or dry " when it comes to NOS ststems. This simply means that a wet system has a seperate fuel source to supply the extra needed fuel ( common on Carbed engines and any system over 75 hp ) A dry system is used on a Electronic Fuel Injection Engine whrer the oxygen sensor will read the higher oxygen level and allow the computer to compensate with extra fuel for the NOS. Not too hard to understand if You take Your time.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i cant tell you an exact hp gain with the roller rockers, but it will help. not as much as nos, but it will. if u get some get the 1.6 ratio's like i stated before it will creat more lift at the valve.

As for the nos, know what your doin if you use it. dont know much about the stock TPI, but it might not be able to compensate for the LEAN condition the nos will make. but im not sure.

aint afraid of it, jus like to beat guys with all motor when they on the bottle

Old 09-08-2006, 01:08 AM
2nd Gear member

with 250 bucks and owning a 350 maro, ide get a mid end cam. cams make the biggest difference fro the moeny. dont go stuffing a top end cam in there neither, or ull end up with a slower car then what u started with. a kit with lifters will cost about 120 bucks, leaving plenty for a new intake manifold. get a manifold that matches the cams advanced power band as close as possible. unles you can find someone selling a turbo or supercharger for 250 bucks, doubt it, thats the biggest difference u can get besides NOS which is a bad idea.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:20 AM
2nd Gear member

He doesn't wasn't to tear down the motor though. It's kinda hard to make a big difference with only 250 bucks unless you want to do some labor. Maybe get the heads ported

Old 09-08-2006, 01:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: uncle bill

NOS will not blow up if You install and use it right. A 50 - 100 shot and the pistons will hold up fine. Don't go any bigger. I'll explain it like I've done in other forums. Nitrous Oxide is nothing more than an Oxygen carrier. When You increase the oxygen sent to the engine, it has the ability to make more power because it has more oxygen to burn. Since You're increasing the amount of oxygen, You have to provide the extra fuel needed to burn that oxygen. If the extra oxygen is supplied without the proper amount of fuel, An extreme lean condition exists which creates a tremendous amount of heat causing the pistons to melt. At the same time, You must retard the timing so the added oxygen and fuel have more time to burn. It's always safe to run the N2O fuel jet a little richer which aids in the cooling. Guys, don't be afraid of this stuff, just be seneible and cautious when You use it. Don't put a kit on Your car that is too much for the engine to handle, a stock engine will handle 50 - 100 shot without too much trouble. You will hear the terms " wet or dry " when it comes to NOS ststems. This simply means that a wet system has a seperate fuel source to supply the extra needed fuel ( common on Carbed engines and any system over 75 hp ) A dry system is used on a Electronic Fuel Injection Engine whrer the oxygen sensor will read the higher oxygen level and allow the computer to compensate with extra fuel for the NOS. Not too hard to understand if You take Your time.
I got a buddy runnin' a big cam, and rockers seem like a lot of work. I'd go with /\ the advice from uncle bill, he seems to know his stuff. If you can swing a wet kit, go for that, IMO. Cheaper than boost, but the same effect.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:03 AM
In the Staging Lanes

porting the heads is alot of work,and money, which will only help at higher RPM. A good torque cam from edelbrock and their torquer aluminum intake will be a awsome upgrade to get you easy hp. but you have to pull the intake, drop the front of the oil pan, pull the radiator, water pump, crank pulley, balancer which takes a special puller to get if off, timing cover timing chain, etc etc etc.

You have to know what your doing to install a cam. Some cams require you to degree them in, and some are able to set up dot to dot. But if you have the money to have someone else do this for you then yes i would recommend this.

The 1.6 roller rockers are an easy upgrade that you can do in an hour or less. You have to pull the valve covers, take off the stock rockers which have the 5/8s nut. Then install the 1.6roller rockers and re adjust them. The hardest part is to adjust the valves if you have not done it to a hydraulic cam before. But its your money and your decision, whatever decision you make goodluck with it, and hope ya win.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks alot guys, thats why i love this forum!Its good stress relife and therse alot of cool guys that take time and help us green horns out.Thats hard to find now a days.thank you.Sorry i got a little mushy,It wont happen again.jk. Ill let you guys know what happens.

Quick Reply: big race on the 23rd need fast tips!!