auto vs 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Default auto vs 5spd

hey everyone im new to the muscle scene i plan on building a camaro in memory of my brother who passed away a few years back he loved the camaro had one himself. im curious though cus as im lookin for one i see alot of auto ones for sale which in yalls opinion is better auto or stick im more of a stick kinda sports car driver myself im jus lookin for opinions no need to bash on anyone here thanks u guys and gals

Old 07-31-2011, 10:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

Hey kid....welcome aboard. Now please start using proper english or we will never respond to you.

Most early 3rd gens are auto. Converting to stick isnt practical. A well worked 350 auto will run just as fast as a stick. My suggestion.....find a car that 1) you can afford 2) is in decent condition. Dont worry about the transmission. Sure, stick makes you 'feel' faster, but if its honest performance you want to go with, an auto is in order.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by ScottD
Hey kid....welcome aboard. Now please start using proper english or we will never respond to you.

Most early 3rd gens are auto. Converting to stick isnt practical. A well worked 350 auto will run just as fast as a stick. My suggestion.....find a car that 1) you can afford 2) is in decent condition. Dont worry about the transmission. Sure, stick makes you 'feel' faster, but if its honest performance you want to go with, an auto is in order.
alright thanks thats what i was looking for right there. sorry about my english never been a strong point of mine lol

Old 08-01-2011, 01:14 AM
2nd Gear member

5 speed all the way! Loads more fun

Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by c4maro
5 speed all the way! Loads more fun
Dont do that! Now the kid is going to buy a V6 and expect to do a 6-8 swap AND change out his tranny! 8*p

Old 08-01-2011, 06:36 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by ScottD
Who is "We" cause I could careless.

Automatics use engergy from the engine to work they also create a lot of heat thats is why they they need cooled. With a low powered motor you can feel the differents. If you like a stick get a stick.

I would suggest a 90-92 TBI 305 5 speed. They make great first cars and as long as you do not over rev the 305 and maintain it, it should last a long time.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

My understanding has always been that the stock T5 manual transmissions in 3rd-gen cars were very weak and often broke even in unmodified cars, while the automatic- 700r4 is known for being very strong and reliable.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:51 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Saint Ebony
My understanding has always been that the stock T5 manual transmissions in 3rd-gen cars were very weak and often broke even in unmodified cars, while the automatic- 700r4 is known for being very strong and reliable.
Ha, I was a GM tech Tech from 85 to 90 and I would say the opposite. 700R4's where so bad GM had to change the name because people would not buy a car with a 700R4 in it. T5 could not handle much torque but they are basicly unchanged thru most of it production. Most of the problems I fixed on T5's was because of mistakes at the factory. 700R4 where a nightmare 85-89. Don't get me started on what a cluster it was.

I am sure his 2000 rebuild is much better then the original.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Ha, I was a GM tech Tech from 85 to 90 and I would say the opposite. 700R4's where so bad GM had to change the name because people would not buy a car with a 700R4 in it. T5 could not handle much torque but they are basicly unchanged thru most of it production. Most of the problems I fixed on T5's was because of mistakes at the factory. 700R4 where a nightmare 85-89. Don't get me started on what a cluster it was.

I am sure his 2000 rebuild is much better then the original.
The 700r4 had problems in the early years, but by 85 they were pretty reliable. They need to be beefed up for more than 400 hp, but most all trannys need to be modified to take on more torque. I have had good luck with r4's myself.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:00 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Stevolwevol
The 700r4 had problems in the early years, but by 85 they were pretty reliable. They need to be beefed up for more than 400 hp, but most all trannys need to be modified to take on more torque. I have had good luck with r4's myself.
Are you saying that based on transmission you built? Because I am basing on transmission I rebuild under warranty. GM had a training film they released around 87 that all of us had to sit thru. It was 1-1/2 hours long the first 45 minutes was "how to" part, the next 45 minutes where how to figure what rev tranny you are working on and what upgrades that rev required. It was so messed up they could not even go by Vin number. The biggest issue I use to have was they where constanly changing things. I may be working on a trans that was built in 2nd quarter of 86 but it was rebuilt in the 2nd quarter of 87 so it had these other part that are now obsolete or some of them not compatible with my current kit. In some cases the "fixs" where more problems then the original design. I swear the 700R4 was the reason for the lemon law. We had some cutomers on their 3rd unit in less then 50K I remember on customer who was so pissed be hung a picture of a lemon in the back of his truck. The dealership owner saw it and told us to order a new trans. Yea that one last 1200 miles. In 88 I moved to a much larger dealship, I was done with the 700R4 because that dealship had such a high rate of 700R4 returns they stopped doing them and sent them back for rebuild. I told you not to get me started.

You do have to temper what I say with the fact that I remember the bad stuff. I mean if even 1/2 percent of the car sold have a problem that is what filled my bay. To talk to me every car built in the mid 80's had to have the rack rebuilt, the valve cover resealed, the computer replace twice and a new crank sensor every 6 months.

Quick Reply: auto vs 5spd