Anyone tried an electric supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Default Anyone tried an electric supercharger?

Anyone tried an electric supercharger, turbocharger? I know it's sketchy but even if it
delivers a fraction of their claim it'd be worth it. I saw this www.superwhirl.com
www.electricchargers.com I think there's a few others. Any info?

Thanks,
Jordan

Old 02-16-2007, 07:44 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default RE: Anyone tried an electric supercharger?

id be kinda iffy about that... untill i know of somebody who had tried one, i deff wouldnt waste my money on it.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:30 PM
4th Gear Member

Electric powered tornado. If you bought one of those, well you can upgrade. $49 to $100 Wow....

Old 02-16-2007, 11:41 PM
2nd Gear member

The ones I have seenaren't worth the money, just something between a jun and a scam.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

there is one on the market that's a legit performance part.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/04..._supercharger/

http://www.boosthead.com/

it's over $1500. for $1500, you could have a really nice 350 sitting in your engine bay. that's where i'd put my money.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

You should be shot just for even thinking about buying one.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:48 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

the thing is, the fan only spins at one speed. you cant keep it on all the time. it may pack more air in at lower rpms, but it mostly likely isnt set up for power at higher rpms. it probably doesnt pump enough cfm's, and would probably kill some hp. now if you have a small 4 banger, it might work. but i think just the amount of air a small block v8 would consume naturally is probably more than that thing can pump

Old 02-17-2007, 08:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the TKT company has more than one kit. the larger kit is built for larger engines, and i would assume costs considerably more.

like i already said, if you want more power for cheap, build a 350 and swap in.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:38 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: vanilla sky

there is one on the market that's a legit performance part.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/04..._supercharger/

http://www.boosthead.com/

it's over $1500. for $1500, you could have a really nice 350 sitting in your engine bay. that's where i'd put my money.
That electric SCr is interesting. It might blow enough air for a small four banger, but consider this: it draws 700 amps at 12 volts = 8400 watts, which is about 11 1/4 HP. Forgetting for a moment that no electric motor is much more than 85% efficient, stick with the 11.25 HP.

We did some analysis of the SCr on my engine by putting a torque meter (it measured the tension on the idler pulley and its all just algebra from there on to determine HP consumed by the SCr). It is consuming well over 57 HP at full RPM. Now, it's feeding 8 lbs to a built 427 with the best heads money could buy at the time, [putting out right at 800 flywheel HP. But consider this. 11.25 HP is less than 1/4th of 50 HP. Thus, you d expect from a power and"ability to blow air" standpoint, that electric SCr is limited to about 200 HP max. That's not going to work in a Camaro.

Yet it draws 700 amps. You really have to think hard when and if you would, say, double that to get more power. You can weld with much less amperage than 700, and if a power supply capable of 700 amps gets away from you, short circuit, it can do really nasty things in the blink of an eye. . If you could go to a 24 or 42 volt power system you could makea greater capacity electric SCrwork. That would require additional batteries (weight) and a controller (expensive).

Much better to go with a mechanically driven SCr or just drop in a big modified V8.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the installation of that TKT kit also requires the installation of a BANK of batteries. the more voltage, the fewer amps it has to draw.

it's very far from anything i'd call efficient, ESPECIALLY when it's trying to feed something with as much displacement as even the puny 305 engine. if you want a supercharger, you're best with a real supercharger, not an electric boost device.

[edit]after rereading your post, it seems we're both in agreement. not something worth installing on a large displacement engine[/edit]

Quick Reply: Anyone tried an electric supercharger?