Any ideas on where to find this interior part reliably? Can't find it

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Any ideas on where to find this interior part reliably? Can't find it

Passenger side seat belt buckle for my 85 z28... black with the red button.

Mine for some reason ceased to work as the plastic broke and spring became all fubar. Bought me this button/spring replacement kit which looked like it might do the job till I was trying to remove the old buckle and the insides exploded in a bundle of plastic death leaving me quite sad in the pants.

I can't seem to find my match on ebay... there was one but it was not the correct buckle/button.

Aside from ebay, any places you'd recommend for that part? I'd like to get it back in asap, as I have temporarily taken one of my rear seaters and placed it in the front but it's significantly shorter and thus a pain / possibly less safe?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Have you checked your local wrecking yards?
Cars parting out on Craigslist maybe?
Local paper classifieds in the auto parts section for a parts car?
Chevy dealer to see if it's available new or NOS?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

if i am not mistaken the button and spring were on a recall list, so all you should have to do is drive to your local gm dealer and have them go to work. i told them not to bother with mine because i was planning on buying all new seat belts anyway.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Well.. I suppose I could try bringing it back but part of the inside of the buckle that holds the spring in place also broke so... they may give me ****.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes

its been too long, they wont do it now, basically GM dealers will only do work on vehicles they can run a VIS on (Vehicle Inquiry system) nothing older than 96 will show up in the VIS, so they have no data on whether or not your vehicle has already had the work done. I work for a Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac, and GMC Dealer. i already had to tell my buddy no for the door hinge recall on his 88 regal, but if you are lucky, the service parts are probably still in existence.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes

maybe true where you go to, but in my city they said they would do it while i waited and its an 89. i guess it all depends on who is working and how cheap the parts are because to replace a couple of springs and buttons they are only out a couple dollars so its not even worth the hassle to them

Old 01-31-2009, 02:51 PM

Go to ClassicIndustries.com that should help you out. Thet cater to the first gens heavily, but you should be cool.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

im willing to bet that yer local dealer had a couple of the recall kits laying around, they probably wantedto get rid of them. its a easy wayto make a few bucks kick back from GM, and to get rid of a part that otherwise wouldnt sell. its not every day a 3rd gen eligiblefor the recall rolls through your door lol

Last edited by Lithorian; 02-01-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:38 AM
March '09 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if i am not mistaken, If a part has been recalled it was done by the gov't and there is no time limit on it on when to you need to have it done. As far as Classicindustries go's they have seat belt part's but do not trust the prices that they have posted on the online catalog. For example they are showing a set of gray seat belts (the only color they have) for the third gen for around 230.00 +or- when i call to order the acual price pushed close to 600.00. Try http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com some time they have some good deals.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes

all i know is we wont do recalls on cars we cant VIS. hell most of the recall parts are out of production after 10 years

Quick Reply: Any ideas on where to find this interior part reliably? Can't find it