Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   82-92 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-general-10/)
-   -   Aluminum or Vortec heads? (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-general-10/aluminum-vortec-heads-43307/)

ScottD 09-23-2009 08:05 PM

Aluminum or Vortec heads?

I think IM gonna take the final plunge and switch to a better head. Ive been looking over the Summit catalog. They have really nice head/intake/cam packages that add up to 100 hp, but the performance comes at a staggering 1800 dollars to start with.

I did find a cast iron vortec package for about 600 bucks. 1) will Vortec heads work on a late 70's block? (understand Ill need a new intake) 2) will vortec heads produce the same performance as a set of 'Brock Aluminum heads?

If I do this upgrade, I want at least another 50-100 hp out of the deal. Im not tearing the engine down for a 25-30 hp gain!

Also, will oversized rockers really give me any kind of noticeable gain on stock heads? (thinking 1.65)

350rs 09-23-2009 08:12 PM

vortec heads are a good truck head. low end torque. Not a good performance head. However people can get some good power using them.

Have you checked out the brock top end kits? or the holly kits even? lots of companies offer complete intake, head, and cam kits.

As far as rockers. not TOOO noticeable. A decent gain though.

ScottD 09-23-2009 08:36 PM

The 'Brock kits start at 1750. Thats a fair price but a little steep for me right now. The heads alone cost at least a grand!

So the oversized rockers......how much HP you thinking? Honestly, you cant even feel an addition of less than 20 hp, and Im looking for seat of the pants improvement, not incremental time slip stuff........

350rs 09-23-2009 09:00 PM

maybe with the cam your running you will get a few horse, but probably nothing the ol butt dyno will know

GRIFF 09-23-2009 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by ScottD (Post 366503)
I think IM gonna take the final plunge and switch to a better head. Ive been looking over the Summit catalog. They have really nice head/intake/cam packages that add up to 100 hp, but the performance comes at a staggering 1800 dollars to start with.

I did find a cast iron vortec package for about 600 bucks. 1) will Vortec heads work on a late 70's block? (understand Ill need a new intake) 2) will vortec heads produce the same performance as a set of 'Brock Aluminum heads?

If I do this upgrade, I want at least another 50-100 hp out of the deal. Im not tearing the engine down for a 25-30 hp gain!

Also, will oversized rockers really give me any kind of noticeable gain on stock heads? (thinking 1.65)

Vortec heads will work on a late 70 block. Performance of the head depends on what else is in the engine so your #2 question can have two answers. A lower lift shorter duration cam disigned for a lower rpm engine might favor the vortec where as a more radical cam will produce more power with another head. Whats in the engine now?

ScottD 09-23-2009 09:17 PM

The engine is running a mild 'RV' grade mellings cam. The original builder put it together as a dirt track motor that could backup as a daily driver. He didnt remember the specifics of the cam, just that it was a 'low end RV cam'. He didnt use the short block, he threw a set of heads on it, fired it up for test, and sold it too me.

GRIFF 09-23-2009 09:30 PM

Did he tell you what the pistons are and what compression?

Jr. Mechanic 09-23-2009 09:50 PM

Scott, you already know my opinion, but I'll say it again :D

190cc Patriot Performance aluminum heads! Great bargain and quality pieces, better flow ratings than Edelbrock Performers and $300 bucks less!

Fill out a cam request form at compcams.com. There's so many different cam grinds on the market, but they can pinpoint one that is perfect for your application.

The advantage of a larger ratio RR is to increase cam lift. If you're replacing the cam, make up for this in the cam grind rather than using oversized rockers (1.5 is stock.)

ScottD 09-24-2009 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by GRIFF (Post 366538)
Did he tell you what the pistons are and what compression?

Nope. Other than a 'midly built' engine. I know for sure its .040 over and the pistons are an upgrade over stock. Pretty sure they arent domed or anything, just a stronger piston.

Patriot Performance heads? assume a simple google search will find me a vendor?

Jr. Mechanic 09-24-2009 09:52 PM

http://www.jegs.com/p/Patriot-Perfor...22038/10002/-1