advantages?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:06 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default advantages?

so what are, if any, the advantages to using a 4bbl manifold, and buying the TBI adapter plate? Obviously power and whatnot is going to depend on the quality of the manifold, but would i deffinately (cant spell so dont bash me) get a power increase or not? Also, would i have to buy new heads if i do this? Or is that again just a part dependant thing?

I have my eye on a Edelbrock manifold, we have had good luck with Edelbrock, so i tend to stay with products that we have good luck with. There is a OEM FITTING part that they claim to make better power than the actual OEM part. While im sure its not much, but let me know.

Im not looking for a 100 horse boost here, just enough to make it worth the time and money. I MAY go with a 4 bbl carb later down the road when i have the extra bucks to convert.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:44 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: advantages?

I know I'm hounding you like crazy on this, but here's the deal: The eddlebrock performer TBI uses the same bore size as the stock manifold, the adapter plate has about 40% more room for air to flow, allowing you to actually make use of the added size of the higher flowing TBI units, and since the bore size on the carb manifold is much larger than the TBI unit, there's no real issue with flow there. Plus, if you switch to carb later, you'll be able to make the swap with a bit less cost to you.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:57 PM
March 2008 ROTM

ok so there IS a gain from using a 4 bbl manifold and an adapter plate to use the STOCK TBI unit. Thats good news. Any estimates? It would probably be a performer manifold.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:41 PM
2nd Gear member

Somewhat, but it will be improved if you get a bigger TBI unit to go with it. As for the manifold, I believe the 4bbl single plane is cheaper than the TBI manifold.

If you want EGR, this is your manifold:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

If not:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Either way, you'll pay alot less for the manifold. The adapter plate, you'll want to call probably Holley or Edlebrock and ask about pricing. Make sure you get a plate with a 1 13/16'" bore, not the 1 11/16" (that's the stock bore size, and wouldn't do you any good to get that plate over the TBI intake)

The better high flow throttle bodies out there will be able to flow about 590 cfm with the large bore, but will be limited to around 520 with the smaller one.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:41 PM
March 2008 ROTM

hm, EGR, its slipping my mind, whats that again? I feel like i know this but i cant be sure.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:28 AM
2nd Gear member

Exhaust Gas Recirculation. I'm pretty sure your car has it now, but if emissions aren't a concern, you may wanna do without. If there's any performance benefit, or any other reason to save it, I'm not aware of it. I will also say that it's cheaper without.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:55 AM
March 2008 ROTM

i just end up doin a search to find out cause i wanted to know ASAP for some reason. But yea my car has it, and unfortunatly, my car goes through emissions... so i need it.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:40 PM
2nd Gear member

That sucks. Could be worse though, the EGR manifold was only like $35 more than a non EGR, and you can buy a blockoff plate when it no longer needs emmisions.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:10 PM
3rd Gear Member

I've had good luck using a single plane ( ie: edelbrock victor jr. ) with the adapter and a 454 throttle body. Works great with a cam upgrade and headers.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:40 AM
March 2008 ROTM

i dont have a cam yet, not enough money, nor the time to install it. But i do have the headers and exhaust, so i should get a decent gain out of the new intake, though a new cam would probably be the thing to really set it all off.

Quick Reply: advantages?