Add more pep?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:31 AM
Default Add more pep?

I've got a 1992 camaro rs. Wanting a little more pep out of it. Any suggestions?I'm not rich, so a 3500 stall kit is out of the question at the moment. I've got a cold air intake by spectre on there now. I'm wanting to put big and skinnys on it but no idea what tire or size I need. It's my first camaro and know nothing about them. I can do work on them. Its just knowing what to do to it. Its a 305.......Advice would be great. Sick of this cammed v6 stang dusting me down the road....

Old 06-28-2011, 01:06 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

start off with basic maintnance items first. plugs, wires, cap, rotor. i suggest ngk plugs, i love them, and never had any issues with them before. avoid bosch plugs, especially the +2 and +4. a decent set of wires will do, but you can upgrade to MSD wires. just get the ones pre assembled, the ones requiring assembly are a bit difficult to deal with. change the oil if you havent, flush the trans, and change the rear gear oil. once all of that is completed and the car has no other issues, there is a lot more you can do.

just to make sure, it is a 305 TBI, correct?

Old 06-28-2011, 03:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

Nothing short of a 350 swap will give you the performance upgrade you want. We can bat this around all day, talk about intake and exhaust, cams and carbs and everything under the sun....but a 305 is never going to perform how you want it. Let me apologize for my candor....once every 2 weeks a noob shows up here looking to upgrade their 305. Its simply not meant for much more. That V6 Mustang is going to continue to smoke you because its lighter, has performance mods and is probably 10 years newer with a boatload more engine management technology. Trust me, I feel your pain. Im running almost 400 HP from my 350 and Im well aware that many stock ricers have no problem handing me my ***.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

A good set of headers, better cam, and a performance cat back exhaust would be a good start. Get rid of your 2.73 gears, and replace them with 3.42 gears. I would bet the stang would be watching your tail lights after these mods.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by ScottD
Nothing short of a 350 swap will give you the performance upgrade you want. We can bat this around all day, talk about intake and exhaust, cams and carbs and everything under the sun....but a 305 is never going to perform how you want it. Let me apologize for my candor....once every 2 weeks a noob shows up here looking to upgrade their 305. Its simply not meant for much more. That V6 Mustang is going to continue to smoke you because its lighter, has performance mods and is probably 10 years newer with a boatload more engine management technology. Trust me, I feel your pain. Im running almost 400 HP from my 350 and Im well aware that many stock ricers have no problem handing me my ***.
I want to do a 350 swap but finding one under 400$ is difficult. I'd love to do a 350 but money is the issue there. Down the line I'm sure I will though. And yes it is TBI.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:37 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

One thing you can do is start with the exhaust. Headers, Y-pipe, and exhaust can all be crossed over to any 305-400 swap that you may do in the future. This should give you a little grow and pick up a few horses. Dont waste your money on tires like that yet. Start with the basics and work your way up.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by cbr600rx7
One thing you can do is start with the exhaust. Headers, Y-pipe, and exhaust can all be crossed over to any 305-400 swap that you may do in the future. This should give you a little grow and pick up a few horses. Dont waste your money on tires like that yet. Start with the basics and work your way up.

any suggestions on what headers? good site to find some? ive got a new distrubtor rotor by MSD. Getting plugs and wires this come weekend/week.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

I started with a 305. For the money you are going to spend on a exhaust (200-500 bucks) You are already halfway to a base 350.

Honestly, the BIGGEST seat of the pants upgrade you can make is changing out your rear end gears. When I went from a 305 to a 350 I was like 'Nice'....when I went from 2.77 gears to 3.73's....I was like "Holy effing sheeet, why didnt I do this FIRST!"

Old 06-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 92KernRS
...I'm not rich, so a 3500 stall kit is out of the question at the moment....
On an engine that falls flat on it's face after 4500 rpm's, that wouldn't be the best investment anyway.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ScottD
I started with a 305. For the money you are going to spend on a exhaust (200-500 bucks) You are already halfway to a base 350.

Honestly, the BIGGEST seat of the pants upgrade you can make is changing out your rear end gears. When I went from a 305 to a 350 I was like 'Nice'....when I went from 2.77 gears to 3.73's....I was like "Holy effing sheeet, why didnt I do this FIRST!"

many thanks for that. ill def. look into that tonight.Anyone know of a reliable site to order parts from. Summit and Jeggs seem a little pricey?
Ive been looking at Andy Auto Sport but I hear backorders happen way to often with them.