No Start, VATS system

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 07:28 AM
Default No Start, VATS system

Okay, here's the issue. After driving my 1990 RS and I stop somewhere; when I try to start the car again nothing happens. All the lights come on as usual and the security light goes off, but engine doesn't turn over. After letting it sit for a couple hours it will start right up like nothing ever happened. ( I swear the car is like a little child)
Had this problem a couple of years ago and I replaced the key and ignition cylinder. That didn't do ****. I replaced the starter/VATS relay and it has been fine up until now. Saw a video about bypassing the relay by unplugging it and installing a jumper wire. Tried that and it worked well for about 4 days until it happened again. There is obviously something tripping the security system, which would be why it resets after I let it sit for awhile. So I ask you brothers and sisters, what the hell is going on??

Old 10-20-2019, 11:17 AM
4th Gear Member

Could be VATS. Per Owner's Manual, if it does not crank and start, remove key and try again in 3(?) minutes with same key.
At bottom of column inside is the connector, and you will find two thin white wires.
Unplug the connector, insert the chosen key and read resistance into the column as this event, if resistance of the key chip is read, will show the resistance ensuring good(?) contact.
If intermittent reading, you may have to swap out the socket, the two thin leaves, touching the chip, again. Steering wheel removal required, as you learned last time.

Hopefully, you have the original key as the same resistance is in the VATS unit. Some people have inserted a resistor into the VATS socket bypassing the key socket, but this loses the security system. Your choice. Good luck

Old 10-22-2019, 06:12 AM

Just a little update. The problem now is persistent. If I drive anywhere and shut the car off it will not start again until it sits for a while. Every time...

Old 10-22-2019, 06:53 PM
4th Gear Member

Key socket, the thin leaf contacts, are not touching the key chip.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by BigBZ28
Okay, here's the issue. After driving my 1990 RS and I stop somewhere; when I try to start the car again nothing happens. All the lights come on as usual and the security light goes off, but engine doesn't turn over. After letting it sit for a couple hours it will start right up like nothing ever happened. ( I swear the car is like a little child)
Had this problem a couple of years ago and I replaced the key and ignition cylinder. That didn't do ****. I replaced the starter/VATS relay and it has been fine up until now. Saw a video about bypassing the relay by unplugging it and installing a jumper wire. Tried that and it worked well for about 4 days until it happened again. There is obviously something tripping the security system, which would be why it resets after I let it sit for awhile. So I ask you brothers and sisters, what the hell is going on??
Under dash power distribution box (under driver side kick panel) is burned out. Need to replace it. This box distributes power to the ignition switch, dash lights, starter relay, etc. PAIN IN THE ***