92 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 12:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 92 camaro

Hi guys. I'm turning 16 soon and thinking of buying this Camaro. I was just wondering if the price is good and if it is a good year. Thanks for any help. 1992 Camaro RS

Old 10-24-2011, 08:56 AM
4th Gear Member

welcome to a fellow west coast Floridian

what do you need from this vehicle?

Will you be driving your parents car for a few years while you work on this Camaro?

EDIT- when will you be 16? 3 months ago you said you were turning 16................

Last edited by torque_is_good; 10-24-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:58 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
welcome to a fellow west coast Floridian

what do you need from this vehicle?

Will you be driving your parents car for a few years while you work on this Camaro?

EDIT- when will you be 16? 3 months ago you said you were turning 16................
I would mostly need the car for driving to school and work.
I suppose I could drive one of my parents cars if need be, but I would rather not.
I turn sixteen in 3 months. I've just been anticipating it for a while.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tscw96
I would mostly need the car for driving to school and work.
I suppose I could drive one of my parents cars if need be, but I would rather not.
I turn sixteen in 3 months. I've just been anticipating it for a while.
well, then you answered your own question

you need a vehicle to drive, not to work on.

It's neat to sit in your room on the PC with your buddies looking at car ads, watching Youtube videos of burnouts and high perf vehicles and picturing yourself doing all of that. Heck, you're 16, you just got your license, your driving skills are awesome.

Am I close with the imageof you and buddies watching the videos and searching ads?

I just went through that with my son and his friends.

Here's the difference

Junior was forced to make a car spin out of control and recover from it

If you are in a warm climate then do it on several rainy days. You'd be surprised at how quickly a car can hydroplane in Florida and the numbskulls don't realize it and drive like fools on the highway and main roads when they are wet.

Junior received from me a 4th gen Z28, yup, first car which is crazy fast. But, junior also was underneath the car with me making it ready and appreicated it and didn't want to harm it. So far so good and several years with no issues. Now, some of his friends I would not give such a vehicle because they would have wrapped it around a pole.

Did you note that I said I made the car ready and my son helped? he was not going to receive a piece of crap to drive like the ad you posted.

The same was true with my other kids cars.

I suggest that you look toward dad, uncle or other close adult and see if they are willing to tear down and rebuild a tired car. If not, then shelf those dreams until you get REAL experience driving and revisit them in a few years when you have the money and time to rebuild a car.

Or, save your $$$ and get something newer.

good luck and don't ever buy a car based on emotion.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The problem is, $800 doesn't buy much of a car. Asking $800, and it will likely sell for $600 ($500 if I went to buy it)
Being a parent with 3 kids who are well past 16, if I could do it all over again, I'd do it waaaaaay differently.
We Helped each kid get their "own" car. In my next life, their car would be mine, that I own, and "let" them drive.
I could have used that leverage with my two daughters, my son wasn't an issue. Sheesh....girls!!

Old 10-25-2011, 01:05 PM

i have a 92rs that i bought myself for 1800 a little after i turned 17. i've grown up working on small block chevys for most of my life so i bought mine with a bad miss.
if you don't have experience though i would recomend getting one in good condition, if you can wait till you can afford it.
otherwiase go for it! 800 is a hell of a good deal