91 RS Wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Default 91 RS Wont stay running

Ok yesturday I went to Home Depot and the car ran great! Then I went to the local hardware store and it still ran good. When I started my car back up it kind of bobbled and when I put it in drive it seemed like it wasnt getting good gas flow. I barely got it home. When I pushed the gas peddle to much it was like no gas was getting to the engine, but when I let go of the gas pedal the car would jump forward. Does this sound like a fuel filter problem or a fuel pump issue? Or something worse? Thanks for any advice.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:13 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: 91 RS Wont stay running

start with the fuel filter and go from there. sick

Old 08-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Overdrive Member

I agree with sick. I have seen them neglected because no one likes to change them. Including myself

Old 08-20-2006, 06:08 PM

Thanks guys. I will change the filter today and let ya know if thats the problem.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

So how did it turn out?

Old 08-24-2006, 06:20 PM

I have exactly the same issue. This vehicle was put up for some time prior to me purchasing it from a family friend, earlier it didn't seem to have this problem, in fact the day that I purchased it I put 80 miles on it without any problems whatsover.

I first changed the EGR and that didn't do anything for it. Then I changed the fuel filter and fuel lines due to them being so rusted that the connection between the filter and the fuel line broke. I've also replaced the original fuel filter with a clear fuel filter so that I can see if the dang filter is being plugged by debris from the tank.

I now have the same issue but a little less frequently. The car always stumbles when I depress the accelerator when I start out from a dead stop Usually when the car get's up to higher RPM it runs o.k. but doesn't accelerate as it should and almost feels that it is missing or a cylinder isn't firing at times when at higher RPMS. Sometimes when I am at a stoplight with the car in drive and idling the car will surge like it almost is going to stall (RPM usually is at 750 when in drive). At times the Service Engine Soon light comes on, stays on, then will go off.

Then voila' it will run o.k. for a trip or two. I've yet to put a scan tool on it. I've filled it up with gas (all 12.9 gals) and put some gas treatment in it. I guess i'll let this tank run thru and maybe another before I look into other paths to try to fix this.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes

is it carb or injected?

Old 08-25-2006, 09:22 AM

carb

Old 08-25-2006, 12:22 PM

got 44 diagnostic code.

i guess i will need to check thru each one of the below items.

Code 44- Lean exhaust indicated. Check for possible lean fuel possibilities, such as low pressure caused by faulty regulator, fuel pump or fuel lines kinked or partially collapse, vacuum leaks, clogged air filter or fuel filter.. Check wiring and connections to O2 sensor. Check ground terminals to ecm. Replace O2 sensor.

so far:

replaced the air filter, fuel lines. replaced the fuel filter on the underbody, i am unsure if there is any additional fuel filters, maybe a screw in fuel filter in the carb?
i can hear the fuel pump turn on when i turn the key prior to car starting up.

now to find the ecm and O2 locations... any input iwould be greatly appreciated, 8th digit is E on my VIN, 305 w/carb.

thanks all!

Old 08-26-2006, 05:52 PM

Replaced that triangular air filter thingy that connects to the valve cover. I do have a new air filter also.
I cleaned the carberator with cleaner and verified that it was getting fuel, which it is, spraying in from under these two plastic looking things.

Drove it around and the SES light wasn't lit anymore but it still ran like crap.

Took it back home and the code 44 wasn't in memory anymore. Still car ran poorly.

Replaced O2 sensor.

Funny, car still runs like crap, like it is missing. I drove it for like 10 miles and it would run, albeit stuttering like when applying gas, and often shut down when I came to a stop light or a stop sign. Backing it into the garage is a challenge as it usually shuts down when put into reverse. While driving the SES light came back on and I took it home.

I checked the codes again and got another 44.

I can hear the fuel pump turn on when the key is turned so I can only assume that isn't the problem.

Can somebody tell me how I can check the "regulator" I'm assuming that is a fuel regulator? I'll need to check that and then ECM ground or wiring? How does one check that?

Almost have to take it to the dealer as I'm running out of things that I am capable of checking myself.

thanks.

Quick Reply: 91 RS Wont stay running