89 iroc dies after starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 12:33 AM
Default 89 iroc dies after starting

I have a 89 IROC, the problem is when I start it. It dies after a few seconds after running. If I give it some gas right away and get it in gear its ok, but if I just start it without any gas and leave it in park it dies right away? If anyone can help me it would be great. Thanks for any help you can give me?

Old 06-14-2005, 12:45 AM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM
Default RE: 89 iroc dies after starting

how is the cat? i had an 85 that did something similar and the cat was original and clogged. also, do a major tuneup if you havent lately

Old 06-20-2005, 06:13 AM

i have the same symptoms with my friends 86 camero. im trying to figure out what causes it so i can fix it for him. it also randomly revvs up every once in a while. so this sounds like a plugged cat? i heard someone at work talking about how their camero did that and it was solved by changing the o2 sensor. im hoping to fix this for him soon and i might be buyin an 84 soon. any info wouldbe greatly appreciated

Old 06-20-2005, 09:17 PM

its not the cat! when u say its ok if you get it into gear does that mean it runs and drives (if so does it stall at lights etc). i'd be willing to help u out but i need to know more, its not enough info to give you a response. cats wont make the car die that quick even if clogged, it acutally will run worse as time passes rather than dying at the start. is it fuel inj or carb?

Old 06-21-2005, 07:25 AM

in my case its fuel injected. it runns really rough and almost dies when sitting at idle. i even raised the idle and its no help. im half tempted to try dropping his exuast system to see if it runs any better. hes missing some vacuum lines on it. i need to find a schematic and hook it all up. could this cause the starting problem?

Old 06-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

ORIGINAL: hartattack

its not the cat! when u say its ok if you get it into gear does that mean it runs and drives (if so does it stall at lights etc). i'd be willing to help u out but i need to know more, its not enough info to give you a response. cats wont make the car die that quick even if clogged, it acutally will run worse as time passes rather than dying at the start. is it fuel inj or carb?

if you say so, thats what my 85 did at first, then it just wouldnt turn over at all...it could be a million things Dr. V8

Old 06-21-2005, 05:27 PM

vaccuum lines are a huge component if not connected, or connected wrong! will make your car run awful. hows the timing on it? any backfiring? i'm guessing it has something to do with your air flow system and vaccuum issues

Old 06-21-2005, 09:28 PM

yes it backfires through the trottle body. it runs really rough.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:44 PM

then its definitely something to do with your air system, or timing, whether its the smog pump or smog valves are junk, vac lines. the timing maybe off which causes backfiring as well. check the cap and rotor and distrib. maybe a tuneup?, clogged fuel filter? my best guess is timing issue vs air system

Old 06-23-2005, 12:22 AM

my 89iroc only dies when starting it. if I get it into gear or keep it running for a little bit it runs good. anyone got any ideas?

Quick Reply: 89 iroc dies after starting