89 headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006 | 12:33 AM
|
In the Staging Lanes
Default 89 headers

I have an 89 camaro 350/5.7 and i am looking at getting headers. I am looking at edelbrock shorty headers , hookers, and SLP (all shorty headers). I was just wondering if i should look at any other companies? If anyone has headers on a similar camaro what do u have and how did it sound and did you get better performance.
thanks for any help

Old 04-04-2006 | 02:00 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: 89 headers

I Have A Pair Of Full Length Summit Headers On My 85 IROC (305) Great Sound And Horsepower But A Mother To Install. Sick

Old 04-05-2006 | 06:38 PM

just last summer i threw edelbrock headers and a flowmaster exaust system in my 87 camaro. Sounds sick and the performance increase was pretty damn good.

Old 04-05-2006 | 07:08 PM
2nd Gear member

i got headmans long tube headers for my 87. they do fit, but unless you pull the motor out, they are a ***** to put in. to get them in without taking out the motor, you must remove the master cylinder AND booster, the winshield wiper motor, and lift the motor up with a jack, after taking out the bolts on the motor mounts. take the motor mount bolts off one at a time. when ur installing the right side, take out the ride motor mount bolt and use a jack under the oil pan to lift it up, it will automatically lift up only on that one side. dont take them both out at one time, only the side your working on. These headers are well worth it, they make incredible horsepower and torque, and make more power then shorty headers, and help gas mileage.

Old 04-07-2006 | 07:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

And Fitting Is The Thing Isn't It ? I Fixing To Whack On My Frame Some To Try And Get A Half Inch Of Header Relief. They Are Touching The Frame And The Viberation Is A Pain. Guess I Should Have Went With Shortys. Just Couldn't Make My Self Settle With Anything But Full Length. Sick

Old 04-07-2006 | 09:56 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

how would i run the exhaust pipe off the left header? most of the shorty header kits come with the y-pipe needed but i cant find any long tubes that have a y-pipe. can i purchase one separately or do i have to custom make my own y-pipe? if the ypipe does need to be custom how much would it cost to have them made
thanks for the help

Old 04-08-2006 | 11:10 AM
2nd Gear member

with long tubes you have to get the exhaust custom made. cost me $800 for true dual 2.5inch. i installed the headers myself which saved me 300 dollars, and ordered the mufflers too. the only thing bad about the long tubes is like SSS said, at a low idle, they can bounce off the frame of teh car. if you divit the headers in the correct spot you can stop that from happening. if this car your putting together is going to be a mild performance car that will barely ever see a track, then go with teh shorty's, will save you some money.

Old 04-08-2006 | 04:34 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

my camaro will be a dailey driver but i also will be taking it to the drag strip offten and will be running in some of the race seasons thay have at my local strip. do you think that long tubes would be worth it or are shorties the way to go? oh and my budget is around $1000

Old 04-08-2006 | 07:43 PM
2nd Gear member

i would get the long tubes with 1 3/4 inch tubes. uncoated, headmans were 135.00, you cant go wrong. if you put the headers in yourself, there is no doubt you will be spending less then 1000 total. but remember, to put in headmans long tube headers, you must first take out the master cylinder nad booster, take out the windshield wiper motor, and when you put in the right header, take out the right motor mount bolt, and put a jack with a piece of wood under the oil pan, and lift it up. you also may have to take out your ac compressor if it is on the right side. then, take white out paint or a really flimsy paint, and thickly coat any possible bend that could be hitting a part of the frame of the car. slide the header in, shake it around a little, and pull it out. whereever there is a scratch on the pain, make dimples, no deeper then half an inch. this is going to take some time, but u will easily spend less then 1000. and the power gains will be remarkable. after i put headmans long tubes in, and got my exhaust done, when i revved it, my rpm's climbed twice as fast and it was extremely responsive. havent had the chance to take it on the road yet because i have a new intake manifold that i have to put on, but more importantly, the edelbrock carb in the picture below **** the bed. jsut got a new weiand high rise single plane.

Old 04-09-2006 | 04:35 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

thanks for all the help timmy, i am going to go with your advice and get long tubes. just need to get a little extra cash!

Quick Reply: 89 headers