88 rs camaro bogging down and running bad help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Unhappy 88 rs camaro bogging down and running bad help please

hello i own a 88 camaro and for the life in me i cant find out what is wrong with it ive been having this problem well i rebuilt a new 3.1 for it motor wise it ran great for 3 months and started acting bad ok when it turns on it might shut right off so i turn it back on runs fine at idel great at idel but when i press that gas pedal the idel dropps and runs like poop like bogging

Old 10-11-2010, 10:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Sounds like a vacuum leak or symptoms of what is called a "lean stumble"...

Check for vacuum leaks, if there's a local shop that can smoke it, that is probably the best way.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:04 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by InjectorsPlus
Sounds like a vacuum leak or symptoms of what is called a "lean stumble"...

Check for vacuum leaks, if there's a local shop that can smoke it, that is probably the best way.
nah, run to your local Wal Mart or parts store, grab a can of starter fluid and with the car running, spay some starter fluid near vacuum hoses. If your engine raises the rpm a bit you found a leak.

That is of course a way to test for a leak but I'd need more details of your issue

Old 10-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Unhappy i went outside to listen to it

when i reved it i only heard it once it made a clunck noise im not sure this is driving me crazy sad face

Old 10-11-2010, 04:56 PM

and like its weird it might vlear itsself up for like maybe a day to a week at most then it runs like ****

Old 10-11-2010, 07:17 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

could be low fuel pressure caused by the pump going bad or a clogged filter. have you taken care of the car and performed routine maintnance?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

^^^^Those are all things it could be and some good ideas. Also is your timing right? If the timing is too retarded it can bog down when you step on the gas. If you stomp on it and it has no power at all than it could be timing. If it acts like its gonna stall out at times then it could be a vacuum leak......but you say it ran great for three months so it shouldnt be timing unless you made an adjustment.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:47 PM

timming as in timming chain or timming as in distributer timming and also the motors new new u might be right on the fuel pump ile change the filter lated today but when i turn the key over i hear the fuel pujmp kicking in so idk but u might be right i havent changed it what are the odds of a clogged or bad injector

Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

clogged or bad injector would make it misfire and either run rich or lean, depending on how it is stuck. that would create a noticeable shake. change the filter out and run it again and see how it is

Old 10-13-2010, 11:04 AM

but if i just turn it on its idles fine only when i press on gas

Quick Reply: 88 rs camaro bogging down and running bad help please