88 Camaro Ignition Switch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Default 88 Camaro Ignition Switch Problem

I have a 1988 Camaro and today when I got in to go to work I put the key in the ignition switch and it clicked once and locked up, wouldn't go back wouldn't go forward. After awhile of working with it I got it to switch back and was able to pull the key out. I tried again and this time it would click forward but not move again to crank the car. I worked it and was able to get it to go forward and crank up.. now I shut it off and tried again and now it will click once [bringing on the lights-radio and such] but will not go again to crank up the car. [:'(]

Any else run into this problem ? Do I need to access the switch in the column ? If so, I'll need to remove the steering wheel to get to it ?
Any and all help is most appreciated.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:04 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: 88 Camaro Ignition Switch Problem

Try moving the steering wheel back & fore while turning the key.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:54 PM
2nd Gear member

While I've never encountered this, it sounds like something is binding near on in the ignition switch, and it probably needs to be replaced. You'll have to pull the steering wheel to do this, but you're probably fortunate enough that there's no airbag, so that makes it alot easier. You'll need a steering wheel puller and some small torx drivers for the job. Make sure you make a note of where everything is inside the collumn, as it's a ***** to figure out if you don't pay atention when you're pulling it apart. Shouldn't take more than an hour tops if you're taking your time and haven't ever done this before. If you get stuck on anything, I'd be more than happy to go into a bit more detail on the repair.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: FlufyTiger

While I've never encountered this, it sounds like something is binding near on in the ignition switch, and it probably needs to be replaced. You'll have to pull the steering wheel to do this, but you're probably fortunate enough that there's no airbag, so that makes it alot easier. You'll need a steering wheel puller and some small torx drivers for the job. Make sure you make a note of where everything is inside the collumn, as it's a ***** to figure out if you don't pay atention when you're pulling it apart. Shouldn't take more than an hour tops if you're taking your time and haven't ever done this before. If you get stuck on anything, I'd be more than happy to go into a bit more detail on the repair.
I was thinking it was the switch aswell, glad to get another opinion on it. I started to take the steering wheel off and noticed that I need the tool to pull it. I'll have to make my own tomorrow and pull the wheel. Once again thanks for the suggestion and I'll be sure to post when I get it taken apart and pulled.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:43 AM
Overdrive Member

The switch is at the bottom of the column. Not behind the steering wheel.
Remove the covers under the column and drop the column down by taking out the two nuts holding it up. There will be the switch down after the bracket. there will be a rod going to the underside of the switch. Turn the key and watch ofr feel for the rod to bend. If you feel resistance in turning the key and the rod bends then the switch is bad. They get hot and melt. Or if it is automatic then the interlock is not working properly. Try moving the shifter back and forth while working the key.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:21 AM
2nd Gear member

Isn't there a screw holding the lock cylinder in place behind the turn signal switch and self cancel cam that would need to be removed in order to service the mechanism?

Old 09-29-2006, 12:21 PM

the problem sounds like its the key & tumbler assm.. that is located behind the turnsignal switch inside the column. not only will you need a steering wheel puller, but a locking plate removal tool. make sure its not a security chip key. if it is you will have to get parts from the dealer to work with the vehicles security system. being an 1988 it probably isn't. if you need a walkthrough (tools needed/ disassembly & assembly help) let me know and ill post it.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:09 PM

I got the steering wheel off and behind it is a plastic type of cover. I'm gonna drop the steering column down now to get a better view of what I've got.
There is no screws or holes of any kind under the column. I was expecting there to be a small hole under the switch but not on this one.
If I run into any road blocks I'll snap a few pictures and post them...

Thanks for the advice and suggestions..

Old 09-29-2006, 02:42 PM

this is a picture of where I am now, what do I need to do to get to the ignition switch?

Old 09-29-2006, 03:24 PM
2nd Gear member

That would be a lock plate in the way, and you'll need a lockplate remover. Sorry, I forgot to mention that before. They don't cost much, and you can get one at most auto parts stores. There'll be a round tube with some threading inside that goes over the steering shaft, a horseshoe shaped bracket, a long bolt and a couple of nuts in the kit, to give you an idea what you're looking for. Basically, the bracket depresses the lockplate, and while it's down, you'll need to pull the retaining ring out from the middle of the plate. I've done it in the past with a couple of small screwdrivers and some needle nose vise grips. There may be an easier way to do it, but it's effective enough. Installation is pretty simple, put the lock plate tool on there, and put the ring back in, and back the tool off with the ring in place.

As for what AJ said about the chip key, the aftermarket switches are made for the chip keys, but you will need a key cut by the dealer to match the one that came with the new cylinder. But like he said, I kinda doubt that the car has a chip, being an 88, but it's possible. I had a friend with an 89 firebird with a chip, and Pontiac says they didn't use them untill 92, so they aren't always right.

Quick Reply: 88 Camaro Ignition Switch Problem