88 camaro 5.0 help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Default 88 camaro 5.0 help!!!!!!

ok so i got a camaro today it starts up and runs for a few minutes then shuts off..... then wont start unless you let it set for a minute then starts back up fine kinda sounds like a fuel prob lem but its gettin plenty fuel and the pump is workin fine when its runnin you can run the **** out of it wont loose fuel pressure but when it cuts off sounds like it completely looses all fuel or spark for some reason what the hell could this be >>> byw motor is 5.0 305 tbi

Old 10-22-2010, 05:56 AM
1st Gear Member

You have two possibles, a fuel pump or an ignition module. You say that the pump is running fine, did you read the fuel pressure at the TBI? If not, it could still be the pump. Have you pulled the codes? Maybe that will help you better pinpoint the problem. Not sure if you mean that sometimes it looses spark and sometimes fuel but it is important to figure which one is lost when it cuts off.
If the car has been molested then there could be electrical issues such as power wires etc, this is typical of cars that have aftermarket trinkets installed.
From what I read here my feeling is that you have an electrical problem probably with the module.
good luck.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:49 AM
Default ok

ok ill check an the car is completley stock i bought off an old man only trinkets is the cragar back glass louvers lol but im thinkin its that module too ill let you know mean time any other suggestions help thanks

Old 10-22-2010, 07:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Good luck. I wish I had more info but I am pretty new to these 3rd gens myself. I have a 89 that is not pumping gas to the TBI and I am looking for information on how to better troubleshoot it. I do not want to drop the tank to change the pump unless I am absolutely sure. Your case is different and seems to me the module is the culprit. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:18 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FSTKMARO
Good luck. I wish I had more info but I am pretty new to these 3rd gens myself. I have a 89 that is not pumping gas to the TBI and I am looking for information on how to better troubleshoot it. I do not want to drop the tank to change the pump unless I am absolutely sure. Your case is different and seems to me the module is the culprit. Good luck.
you don't need to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump. Have you replaced the fuel filter and also checked with a fuel pressure gauge?

Old 10-22-2010, 07:11 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

you need to drop the tank to CORRECTLY replace the pump.

next time it cuts out, check right away for fuel or spark. but it does sound like the module. when they go bad, they usually stop working when warm

Old 10-22-2010, 09:21 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by microkid
you need to drop the tank to CORRECTLY replace the pump.

next time it cuts out, check right away for fuel or spark. but it does sound like the module. when they go bad, they usually stop working when warm
Again, you don't need to drop the tank. A purist will tell you not to cut an access hatch but I invite you to look at many vehicles that did it at the factory. Chevy overlooked it. If it were the case of the CORRECT way then there would be no headers, no aftermarket heads, cams, distributors.......well, you get the picture

Old 10-22-2010, 09:24 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

no, doing it that way permenantly destroys the fuel lines by cutting the hard lines. you can rig it by flaring the cut ends and using high pressure fuel line hose, but it wont be as good as it was intended to be

Old 10-23-2010, 06:00 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by microkid
no, doing it that way permenantly destroys the fuel lines by cutting the hard lines. you can rig it by flaring the cut ends and using high pressure fuel line hose, but it wont be as good as it was intended to be
pick the correct diameter, clean each end, 2 clamps on each end, leak free.

FYI- brake lines are under much greater pressure and cuts/repairs are done all the time.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/11090...oductId=761335

yes, in a perfect world it's best to use a fuel line with no mends in it just like it's best to never break a bone in your body. We however don't live in a perfect world and not everyone wants to drop the axle and tank and nor should you. It was a design flaw on the part of GM (like that's a surprise) not to have an access panel

Old 10-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

NOPE, cutting the high pressure line and just splicing it back together with hose and clamps is a WRONG way to do it. There is a safety reason why GM ran the high pressure fuel line in solid steel and used nothing but flare connections (no rubber splices). Now, if you want to flare the line ends and connect them with a flare fitting to make it like a factory splice, that's fine. The last thing you want is a splice that could possibly eventually deteoriate and or just plain develop a leak, tucked up in a place that you can't see, right above the exhaust system.