86 tpi, is it my emc??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 86 tpi, is it my emc??

ok ive got a post on here already but will give quick run over.. SES light still flashing intermittantly, will not give out a flash code, when trying to do so will usually read out 12 12 then 12 then starts doing random flashes sometimes only half a flash almost as though theres a break in the wire, at same time as flashing theres a sort of clicking noise coming from very top of engine (where TPI is written on block just above where coolant temp sensor is etc) ive replaced CTS and thermostat, still to do 02 sensor and plugs but im thinking its either electrical or the ECM?? i also put the car in for an MOT last week so that i was on the road and could at least drive it around garages etc but when i went back for car was told they hadnt even finished mot as needed welded so bad...got welder out wasnt tht bad at all, so all welded up (sills n few wee holes in floor) and when i phoned garage back they piped up 'oh we forgot to telll you, its head gasket)!! so ive not yet did a compression/pressure test but there no water leakage, no oil in water vice a versa? no overheating only thng i wud say is its smelling rich as hell, strong fumes! and white steam, which i can remember it always having if not ran for a while?? any helps appreciated, if any of u guys care to help and have a facebook i can acess that much easier, my name is 'Amy paimy' pic of horse & camaro

Old 05-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Tech Droid

Wow, that is hard to read. But if the trouble lamp flashes it is an indicator of a bad misfire. It usually won't set a code because OBDI is too dumb to to do that. Misfire can be caused by ignition troubles, fuel delivery problems, or excessively low compression due to mechanical problems. The clicking you hear, among many other causes, could be due to loose rockers or an ignition wire arching to ground. When is the last time the plugs and wires were changed?

Old 05-07-2012, 04:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

hey ive heard now the clicking could be the air idle control valve? ive just bought plugs for itthey were changed about 2yrs ago im going to change these along with 02 sensor have the wiring checked :/ then if still the smae consider changing the ecm!

Old 05-12-2012, 11:31 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

the clicking would be the idle air control motor. its a stepper motor, and is probably built up with crud, causing it to stick. as for the check engine light come on, there could be a short in the gauge cluster. the factory printed circuit board sucks and can easily leak voltage or lose a connection. i didnt understand the rest of what youre trying to say