84 z28 What to do???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010 | 04:26 PM
|
Default 84 z28 What to do???

Hi guys, and Gals.. Im a new member to the forum and currently do not own a camaro. Im in the market for a sweet new project and stumbled across a pretty much stock 1984 z28, the bodys in pretty good condition nothing i could nt handle, but she isnt that pretty yett.. the interior isnt in the car, lol.. but it is complete. Im awaiting to get the exact milage but its around 150K.. The 305 has not been started in 2 years, but was running fine last time it was actually running... The guy wants 700 OBO, im pretty sure i can get it for 500, maybe even less should I hop on this, or back off?? Id appreciate the help.. Thanks ; )

Old 04-27-2010 | 04:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

The price(500) is nice for a project (especially up north for an intact car)...but you need to understand that it will be a HUGE project. Do you have the time to devote to this car or will it get half finished and then just sit on the side of the house waiting for the next guy? Two years of sitting can do a whole lot of nasty things to an engine. Are you willing to tear this thing down? If not, there are plenty of running early 3rd gen camaro's out there in the 1500-2k price range. Dont buy a non running car on a shoestring budget thinking you can get it running for nothing. Its going to need more than just a battery and fresh oil.....

Old 04-27-2010 | 04:46 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Now when you say the interior isn't in the car, do you mean it's gutted or the seats and carpet are out? Starting from scratch (esp. if the wiring is gone) is tough. If that's the case, I wouldn't even spend $500 on it.

I bought my 83 Z28 with a running 305 for $900 bucks. No rust, straight body, and decent interior.

Of course within 2 days of owning it the 305 was gone

Old 04-27-2010 | 04:51 PM
|

Well the plan is to scrap the 305 eventually anywase down the road.. probaly upgrade to 350 carb, and I have the time and most of the skills necassary to get her done.. Its not gonna be a DD its gonna be a weekend crusier/ strip car.. Id just like to get the stock motor running for the reason of i want to restore everything else first. All the body work and suspension.. then the swap..And i enjoy going to car meets in the area and it would be nice to take her out every now and again and show off the progress, lol.. Thats why if I have a semi solid motor on my hands im not gona just srap it.. I'll cruise around on that until it breaks or im ready for bigger and better things.. Most of the interior will not be going back into the car, Thats why it not being in there now isn't a big deal. But like i said id like to be able to drive it once in awhile, once its fit to be driven. I just didnt know if i should be looking for a better starting point than this, but I know what im in store for I bought a 86 mustang GT about 2 years ago same deal bought it for 600 bucks, put my sweat, blood and $$$ into it LOL, and it was a beast when I regretingly sold her, but heyy..

And thanks for everything so far..

Old 04-27-2010 | 04:56 PM
|

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Now when you say the interior isn't in the car, do you mean it's gutted or the seats and carpet are out? Starting from scratch (esp. if the wiring is gone) is tough. If that's the case, I wouldn't even spend $500 on it.
The interior is all inside just not in the right places, lol.. He has all the interior complete, and its in ok condition, its not gutted, though it probaly will be more or less for me, because chances are im going to cage it, and like i said its gonna be a street/strip car so ditching the extra pounds couldn't hurt, hehe.. but the wiring and everyhting is there he had purchased a new rug to install and well thats were it sits now, lol..

Old 04-27-2010 | 04:58 PM
|

And the only reason Im still contiplating the purchase is becasue it almost seems like a deal, and well..lol, how often do good deals come around and you not get screwed, lol..

Old 04-27-2010 | 07:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

If you have the time and skills, go for it. Sounds like you know what you are getting yourself into. The only thing I can say is there are plenty of 3rd gens out there in this mechanical state or better. I feel like I own a classic car until I open the local swap sheet and see at least 5 3rd gen Camaros for sale, all under 5k......

Old 04-28-2010 | 02:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i hope to get myself a cruise car someday..

Old 04-28-2010 | 09:42 PM
|

Well guys Im gonna decide tomarrow, im going to look at her in person, and see what happens.. I'll let yall know what happens, and post pics if she comes home with me... ; )

Old 04-29-2010 | 11:39 PM

You get it?