700R4 problems NEED HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Default 700R4 problems NEED HELP ASAP

Ok guys new member, but I really need help I am about 5 steps away from just burning this thing to the ground. I have a 1992 RS with the 305 just like the sig says. I smoked/grenaded the original trans last December and I bought a used trans. Put it up and worked great for a day or two. Then car would not shift and would free rev, would have to stop and park the car turn it off and then start it, then it would get up to about thrity mph and would have to stop again. it also had this horrible whine/grind noise to it. I thought it was the torque converter so bought a new one and put that in (got the three clicks) and still same thing. Thought maybe front pump took it to a shop and they said pump was fine. So I put it back up and still same thing worked great for the ride to the gas station and then would go right back to the same crap. I just bought another trans and put it in this morning and same thing but no whine. Makes it down the road a little ways and same stuff. It seems to be fine as long as it is cold. Once it gets warm it will just rev like its in neutral, and will not pick up. I have adjusted the tv cable everytime, but perhaps it was done wrong. I have no idea what else to do. If anyone needs a recording of the noise that it was making let me know can get it to you. PLease help me out guys need to get this thing working. Thanks!!!

Old 11-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Droid

Really sounds like the TV cable is adjusted too tight making the tranny think you have the pedal to the floor at all times.
Engine off release the TV (hold down the metal readjust tab at the engine end of the cable), move the slider until it stops against the fitting, then release the readjust tab. Now (most important) get in the car and press the accelerator to the floor to set the cable. Check that the cable moves freely. Now go for a short road test.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Not to argue Pete, but the TV cable gets adjusted by opening the throttle all the way open by hand at the throttle body. The gas pedal way isn't going to ratchet the cable adjuster.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:50 PM

OK will try TV again and thats how I have been doing it is at the throttle body. The tv cable is not tight at all. Could it be at the electrical plug??? Itsn't that what tells it to shift, and why does it do it only when hot if it is he TV???

Old 11-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I doubt it's the TV cable, that's not going to make the trans act like it's slipping off the line like that. The trans will even work without the cable being hooked up, but that will eventually burn it up. Where did you get the replacement trans from, a boneyard? If so, it could be that's one of the reasons why the car it came out of wound up there in the first place.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:06 PM

Got it from a friend pulled they tranny to put in an astro van but van took a 4L60 so they didnt want to use it. I pulled the pan to changed the filter and it looked pretty good. I dunno if that means anything. I just cannot figure out why it will run fine cold and warm is when it won't work.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I doubt it's the TV cable, that's not going to make the trans act like it's slipping off the line like that. The trans will even work without the cable being hooked up, but that will eventually burn it up. Where did you get the replacement trans from, a boneyard? If so, it could be that's one of the reasons why the car it came out of wound up there in the first place.
Just to clearify it will get off the line ok, but loses the pull and free revs like its in neutral once it gets to about 30mph. Once you come to a complete stop with the engine running (now as long as you stop it will pick up again) it will take off fine.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Can you feel the slipping happen right as it's supposed to upshift to the next gear? Or is it random?

Old 11-06-2010, 07:46 PM

It starts about then I guess it feels random too though. Also if you let off and hammer it it will catch a little bit.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:47 PM

and once it starts doing it it will even do it if you manually put it in a gear like 1st or 2nd

Quick Reply: 700R4 problems NEED HELP ASAP