3RD gen vs 4TH gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:53 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Thanks for getting back on topic guys. What the differance between an lt1 an a small block V8 again?
Seems someone might need a teeny piece of humble pie. I will keep my eyes open for this one.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Which one to buy?

If I were to get a third generation Camaro or Firebird it would definetely be a V-8. Third generation F-bodies didn't have a good V-6 engine. The V-8's weren't much better for horsepower, but they did prove to be reliable, and did last, as long as they were maintained.
In a fourth generation car I could go either way V-6 or V-8 as long as it isn't the 3.4 you are ok. Go with what works best for you, you are the owner, and have to drive the car you choose. If you don't feel a connection to the car you are looking at, or if something doesn't feel right keep looking. There are hundreds of thousands of them out there, the right one will come along.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:17 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by cplthomas
Thanks for getting back on topic guys. What the differance between an lt1 an a small block V8 again?
Seems someone might need a teeny piece of humble pie. I will keep my eyes open for this one.
just about everything but pistons, but i could be mistaken

also, as a comparison. a person i knew had a 99 firebird, v6 5 speed, 19" vette wheels and a flowmaster exhaust. it would stick with my 305 tpi, and he said his clutch was slipping. so basicly a stock v6 5 speed car with the 3.8 is as quick as a stock v8 car, which most of had an auto

Last edited by microkid; 11-19-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Heh, heh. microkid, you fell for cpl's trick question. An LT1 is still a small block V8. But I think he was waiting for someone else to walk into it.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I know for me atleast, ive had 3 different insurance companies(allstate, progressive and now Nationwide)

none of them asked what motor the camaro had in it, all they care about is its a Camaro, which means you could have an Iron duke 4 banger, or an LS1 under the hood, they dont care, if your under 25 your insurance is going to be crazy, unless you have parents like mine, they just put the car on their insurance before i moved out and i was paying 28 dollars a month because it wasnt in my name and their insurance covered any driver of the car with or without insurance( i know my dad was crazy)

Im 21 now, and because my wife has to carry full coverage on her cobalt when we put my camaro on our insurance the price went down(with full coverage) because we listed it as a pleasure vehicle being driven less than XXXXX amount of miles a year

If it were up to me to decided you would be getting a Thirdgen, for the fact that i like they way they look better and you can always throw a better motor in it down the road, they are also a heck of alot cheaper buying a v8 third gen vs. 4th gen(not always, but most of the time)

what you pick is up to your taste and budget to actually buy the car

Old 11-21-2010, 06:52 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Heh, heh. microkid, you fell for cpl's trick question. An LT1 is still a small block V8. But I think he was waiting for someone else to walk into it.
i know that! duh. but when parts interchangeibility between gen 1 and 2 comes to mind, its better to know which is what first. 2 main differences have to deal with coolant and ignition system...

Old 11-21-2010, 09:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

You all don't wanna hear what i have to say...but I think it needs to be said anyway.

First buffalo...I agree with you on some things. But for other reasons completely. A sports car without a v8 is like a hott chick wearing a chasity belt..kinda fun, but when you get down to it..a tease. Sorry sixxers...but we all have our own thoughts.

Sayin a sixxer looks boring though..kinda is the same as sayin your car looks boring. A rs badge is not as sexy as a z28..but in motion..I cant tell the difference. Now...the exhaust..yeah, duels to me look ****ty on a sixxer. Kinda like your pretending you bought a v8 and hoping others dont notice.

That being said...a sixxer has its place, mainly among those who want the look, but not the gas mileage of a v8 sports car. So, again..its all in what people want.

Now to the OP...do yourself a favor. Dump the whole camaro idea and go get yourself a used older truck kid. Your young..yoru insurance is gonna kill your wallet. It is also gonna kill your wallet when you keep burnin off the tires tryin to impress your friends. For my first car, if I had even a sixxer i would have killed myself, even a fourbanger will eventually get up to enough speed to kill you. If you will just get yourself a nice looking older truck, even a 4x4 to play off road if ya like. You will save so much dough its not even funny man. My son, will have my truck when he gets old enough to drive, not my camaro. But when he's older and more responsible...he will have it too. At your age...there's no way on gods green earth I would allow you to drive a sprts car. No matter the kind of engine in it. Trucks for the most part fly beneath cop radar unless yoru doin somethin stupid. You a kidd in a sparts car.....were talkin you don't have your friggin hands at 10 n 2 and your getting pulled. I promise you that! And trucks...women love trucks man. A camaro...is cool yeah, it was my dream car when I was your age. But the fact is its just gonna be to much of a temptation to you to drive fast! And tickets get so damn expensive when your payin yoru own insurance. And unless you plan on liven with mommy n dady for the next three years, you will end up havein to pay it yourself one day.

Sorry bro. Not meaning to burst your bubble, and not implying your a bad driver or anything like that...just saying your young...and most young drivers act the same. Hence why insurance company's charge so much for them. Either way, good luck. Oh...and third gen all the way man, nothin looks better. LOL

Old 11-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by matttrow6969
its gana be my first car so like i cant have insurance high because its going to be expensive as is since im going to be a new driver so yeah a z28 or a iroc sounds good. are they like fast? i heard v6 4th gens are faster..just want to know for sure.. if u know the horse power for them..that would be nice also
i have a 3.4L V6 and all spank the sht outta my buddys 3rd gen formula all day every day

Old 11-21-2010, 10:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Somethings wrong with that 3rd gen then... Not tryin to sound like an ***...but do the math. Power to weight alone will show your gonna lose that race anyday. He must not know how to drive at ALL or, he has lost a crap load of power somewhere.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

well it was a 90 stock basic maintenance auto ive driven it and it was pretty slow didnt throw you back like my sixxxer does and id take him from the start and hed never catch up and i know he was all out thats his style