3rd Gen "t" tops interchangeable??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Post 3rd Gen "t" tops interchangeable??

My '91 "t" tops' finish is plastic and the elements have taken a toll on them. I'm looking to get glass "t" tops and found some for an '83. Are 3rd gen "t" tops interchangeable?

Old 10-24-2010, 08:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

Nope. Ive got a 82, I stumbled on a 'newer' set of 3rd gens and the latches dont fit. I think just like the nose, 82-85 parts are unique. See if you can test fit them or at least get a look at the latches.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by ScottD
Nope. Ive got a 82, I stumbled on a 'newer' set of 3rd gens and the latches dont fit. I think just like the nose, 82-85 parts are unique. See if you can test fit them or at least get a look at the latches.
Scott, was that just a difference in the pin size? There are two types of pins on the tops, large and small diameter. If your current tops have the large pins, you can't use small pin tops unless you change the receivers on the body. If your current tops have small pins, you can use either the large or small pin tops. On the large pin tops, the outer part of the pin is spring loaded and if you push it in, you'll see the small pins inside. But, when you change over from plastic to glass tops, you will have to remove your inside trim panels so you can get to the pin receivers to tighten down the tops more. The plastic tops are thicker because they have a metal frame around them, and you'll have a big gap with the glass ones. I've already done the changeover before, and found out it's not a simple off with the old and on with the new installation.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

I dont remember exactingly what the differences were, but I remember saying..."thats more work than its worth to swap those parts out....

Old 10-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Ha, ha. Story of my life, but I do it anyway!!!

Old 11-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Default T-top versions by year

I have an '83 Z28 that has a latch instead of the pins. This latch consists of a "hook" on the t-top that moves with the lever and a bar mounted on the car that the latch catches. My problem is that the bar portion on the car is very heavily worn where the latch has contacted it. I am somewhat afraid that it could break when the car flexes over bumps or on a hard launch at the drag strip. I got all the hardware for the large pin-type latch and receiver from a car at the local Pic-A-Part. My plan was to mount that hardware and the receivers on my car and drill out the slotted part where the latch goes so that the larger pin would fit through. Once I get to my 10 posts, I will add pictures. Assuming anyone understands what I am trying to say, has anyone done this to their car?

Greg

Old 11-10-2010, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

as said above, all styles will fit all years, its a matter of getting all parts needed for a swap, in this case make sure you have the Receivers

Latch to pin

and even Pin to latch conversions have been done many times

search on google, and i can guarantee you will find threads over on TGO on how to do it