305 TBI

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008 | 02:56 PM
|
Default 305 TBI

hey fellas new to this site and was wondering if anyone has tried to remove their 305 TBI and put a 350 carbureted motor in its place. This is in a 91 RS. I am not worried about the emissions aspect of this switch, am more concerned about the wiring and vacuum aspects. Any help would be appreciated. Also why is the TPI system so much better than the TBI or the carburetor? It seems that the ecm is always a problem for me. Does the ecm do the adjustments that I would be responsible for and does it to them all the time the engine is running and that is why that is the better system? I am already ordering the books to read up on the ecm and the tpi. Just wanted some input on the engine swap.

Old 06-26-2008 | 05:26 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: 305 TBI

iIf you use the search you will see the topic of a swap and what would be needed come up many times here.
A TPI has an injector for each cylinder where as a TBI has two (for V8 and V6) for all the cylinders. TPI also feeds closer to the intake valves as aposed to TBI where it injects from just under the air cleaner lid.
As I have seen in test between different systems like carb, TBI, TPI... a TPI system, or any of the ones tested that had injectors closest to the intake valve, brought the HP on sooner, at lower RPMs.
TPI or TBI personaly I preffer fuel injection over carbed. Less maintence and more reliable.