1989 Camaro Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Default 1989 Camaro Won't start

Alright guys i could really use the help. I have a 1989 RS camaro 305 TBI. It sat for about a year but just before it sat it had a new fuel pump, filter, oil, and spark plugs. It sat in the garage so its not like it got real abused. I am trying to get it running again, when i crank the motor for a little while it will start then stumble and die. If someone else gets in the car and starts it and i hand pour gas down the TBI it purrs like a kitten. You can even slam on the gas and the injectors will fire and rev up the engine just like it should. But then it will stumble and die once i stop pouring. I am getting gas to the TBI, so the fuel pump is still good i can hear it come on. I got rid of the old gas before starting this so there shouldn't be a problem with that but just to be safe i replaced the fuel filter again anyway. The injectors will prime and will EVENTUALLY start the car but only for a second. I was thinking fuel pump relay or oil pressure sending unit. I know if the relay is bad the only way to get the fuel pump to pump is to get the oil pressure above 4psi I did have a MAP code come up once but i replaced a broken vacuum line and have been good ever since..no codes. Noid lights work so injectors are firing. Any ideas?

Old 03-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Default RE: 1989 Camaro Won't start

this may sound to basic.but to me it sounds like ur idle is way off. sometimes problems are overexaggerated when its something simple.check that first.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:38 PM

I had a 1989 camaro rs and it did the same thing and it turned out to be the vehicle antithift system stuck on, it would fire up run for about 15 - 20 seconds then just die. It would stay running when i pured gas in there but other then that it would just stall.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:12 AM
2nd Gear member

Just because the noid light is working dosent mean the injectors are working properly. they may not be completing a full duty cycle. You can have signal voltage at the injector, but if the injector coil is shorted to ground it will not function properly.you need to check the inj resistance and the the amperage through the injector circuit make sure they are within spec. you have to use a true RMS DVOM. also check the fuel pump circuit. if the pump isnt getting the proper amount of current it wont supply enough fuel.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:19 AM
Tech Droid

Have you looked into the throttle body to see if the injectors are spraying fuel ?? If the injectors are not spraying you may have to look at the fuel system. Check fuel pressure, fuel pressure regulator, clogged injectors.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:27 PM
2nd Gear member

I feel dumb for putting this replie up, considering this thread is like 2 years old. Isent the problem just that the car needs to be primed...? if the car had been sitting for a year, there wouldent be any fuel in the fuel line or evenin thefuel pump. Just keep feeding fuel into the carb, and sooner or later it will be sucking gas from the tank? Am i right or am it wrong lol.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Overdrive Member

No carb. Should be TBI. The electric pump will prime for about 2 seconds when the key is first turned on. It should also run when cranking.
Now leave the old subject to sleep.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:49 PM

Ok I'm having the same problem with the antitheft issue not allowing the car to start. How do I fix it? Bypass it or turn it off how? Is it because of the chip in the key? Help please I need my car!!!

Old 07-25-2010, 12:03 AM

i had a coolant temp sensor cause mine to do that

Old 11-27-2011, 07:38 PM

im having the issue of my 89 not starting either i changed the map sensor, oil pressure switch....cap and rotor and now changing spark plugs ( which i found out are a pain) someone told me to change my icm but im not so sure on that and i dont think its a security issue cuz my light dont come on.. any help would be appreciated

Quick Reply: 1989 Camaro Won't start