1983 Camaro Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Default 1983 Camaro Issues

My brother has bought a 1983 Camaro that originally had the v6 in it. The guy before us put a 350 V8 with a turbo tranny and boy this thing hauls.

Anywany, I am actually here to get some advice on some odds and ends that appear to be wrong with it. First off the steering is way loose, originally had a bad steering gear box, but now we have replace it and it even though it drives better, there is still a lot of play in the steering wheel. About 2" of play left and right. The car does respond but it very slow response to any turning within the 2" of play, otherwise it will turn just fine. We are thinking steering column but I dont know what other symptoms to look for, for any kind of confirmation on this.

Also there is a loud, intermittent whine, (that I admit we havent heard it in weeks now) that comes from the back of the car. At first we thought differential, but then again, it does it while in park and not even moving. It last for a few seconds, and is loud enough to appear to be coming from the back of the cabin inside the car.

The struts are getting replaced tonight, as we experienced a strut lock up on the way home a while back. We have been babying it until we could get it in the shop. We are paying someone to change the fronts, we are going to do the rear ourselves.

And to top it all off there is a short in the turning signals and window switches. Anyone have any idea where to check for these?

Old 05-05-2010, 07:00 PM
2nd Gear member

Is the car fuel injected? if so, it may be the fuel pump you hear whining in the back. As far as the steering goes, turn the wheel and look at the steering box. If the wheel moves the box then it may still be the steering box, or it could be bad steering linkage; tie rods ends, pitman arm.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

Steering. Replace your Idler and pittman arm. I had the same problem, it took up about 80% of the slack.

Do the struts yourself! Its a SIMPLE job. Easier than the rears (you dont have to climb inside the car to do the fronts!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:18 PM

Well thats no good, because its already being worked on. It seemed like its pretty simple but my dad said he would pay someone to do the front, and I may not be the best shade tree mechanic but I can do most DIY stuff, but he has been right before on tough jobs so I usually take his advice.

The struts are just like my cougar's struts, built almost like shocks, but I didnt want to risk messing up and having something shoot off "widow maker" style. Thanks for the posts on the issue, I had no idea the fronts would be easier than the rear in this case lol.

Anyone else have any advice on the other things that is listed? FYI the engine has a four barrled carb on it. Came from an early 80's chevy silverado.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

Window switches are a grounding issue. Mine did the same thing. Use a multimeter and find the ground, then hook it to a better source. Very common problem. Turn signals..............Id try the relay first, ground next.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:02 AM
4th Gear Member

27 yr old car and unless the previous owners did regular maintainance over the years this car is going to be a ongoing money pit. That is the bad news. Now if the cars body & interior are in good shape and you intend to keep the car for a good period of time it may worth the money, time & effort to work on it.

Struts & shocks are a good start. The steering parts are in most cases original and are shot, so just look for a front steering kit with all the Parts (note: the pitman arm is not a wear part & unless damaged dosen't need replacing) picture with parts. Then work on the front & rear brakes and the list will go on and on. Unless it is necessary to drive the car, put those items on the backburner for later. Picture of 23yrs old car.

Attached Thumbnails 1983 Camaro Issues-spohn-front-end-kit-3-31-09.jpg   1983 Camaro Issues-iroc-z-side-view-molding.jpg  

Last edited by blackz87; 05-06-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:22 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yup, what blackz said. It's an old car, replace all the steering components. If the struts are getting done now is the time to do it along with ball joints, then have it aligned. Thoroughly go over the braking system, replace any sketchy looking brake lines, all the rubber brake lines, wheel cylinders, calipers, and hardware. Calipers can be had for $11 bucks per side, and wheel cylinders for $8. You'd be dumb not to replace them. Might be worth throwing a master cylinder on it too if yours is original. Replace or turn the rotors and inspect the wheel bearings too.

Odds are all the rubber bushings are shot too. Energy Suspensions has an almost complete kit that includes all 4 control arms, panhard bar, front sway bar end links, secondary transmission mount, etc.

You will need rear end links and front and rear sway bar bushings to make it complete. Inspect the transmission and motor mounts too.

I'm in the process of rebuilding the front end of my 83 Z28 too:

Name:  0412001705.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  112.8 KB

Old 05-06-2010, 01:30 PM

Thanks again for the posts! BTW the shop have to use an Oxy torch to get those front struts off! They were OE!!!!! :-( Im scared about the rear now lol.

The steering components are on the list next. And the brake fluid needs changing(I know this), so probably lines as well. Pads and rotors are already new :-D. The engine and tranny mounts are new because the guy could not use the ones on the v6 on the v8 so he had to use new ones for both.

When I pick the car up today Im actually going through some steps my dad told me to do to check the major steering components. Hopefully the damage is not too extensive, but Ill know what Im dealing with later tonight.

Ill post up pics/more info later.

Thanks again guys :-)

Old 05-06-2010, 01:36 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

An acetylene torch to take off struts? I'd be looking it over REAL good if I were you. The rear shocks are easy, the hardest part is pulling the carpet back to access the top nuts (which isn't very hard.)

Replace ALL of the tie rod ends, the ball joints, center link, and idler arm. I got everything MasterPro brand from Oreilly's with a lifetime warranty for a hair over $200 dollars. I'm sure they're originals, no sense in running 27 year old steering components on a fast car.

The kit blackz posted is from Spohn, it's a very nice kit with a zinc coating. About twice what house brand steering parts will run you though.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:54 PM

Well honestly we just need the car up and running for his job. I was looking around local scrap yards and found some suspension parts on some newer bodies (90's and some such) would it be a good idea to use suspension/steering parts off another camaro as long as they are decent?

Also, any sites you guys recommend for finding all of these? I was looking an JC whitney, and some local shops like Orielys and AdvanceAuto but they want my blood as payment it seems so im checking other options.