help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Default help

i have a 1980 RS with a 350 in it. there are a few things im trying to find.
i am kinda new to all this stuff, so i need all the help i can get

first, im trying to put corvette style tail lights in and i cant quite figure out how. is there a kit for that? or am i going to have to fabricate something for it?

second, i would also like to change out my auto transmission for a manual, but i am having trouble finding an affordable place to buy one. i dont want a new one or anything, just one in good condition.

ill update with more that i need soon, and any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Old 03-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well I for one need more info. Like which tranny you're trying to get? Original type 4 spd., or a later T56 5spd or 6 spd? Your best bet is to try and find a donor car that's rusted out and not running, (with a 4 spd tranny) and then take everything you need from that car. bellhousing, tranny, linkage, pedals, Z bar, throwout arm, etc.
Buying all the pieces individually will break the bank, and if you use a donor car you can get other parts you might need for your car, then just sell off the remains to somebody, or scrap it out.
What type of Corvette tailights are you trying to fit into the Camaro? I doubt any of them will bolt right in without a lot of fitting!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

For starters, no Vette had taillights that even remotely resembles your Camaro lights. To make that work, you need to do a bit of fabricating.
For your trans swap, the best thing to do is look in ebay or craigslist for someone selling as much of the components you can find, from a stripped car. You need to swap out a number of things, and finding the parts off the same kind of car can save you time and money.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:57 PM

well, i dont know where i saw it, but i saw a, what i believe to be a 78', camaro that had corvette style lights. i just thought it looked cool and i decided that i want to do that too. just wanted to get a little feed back about if there were kits or anything of that sort.

and for the transmission, i would like to have a 5 speed, but im have a lot of trouble finding anything thatll work that doesnt have like $200 in shipping. ive been told that there are a lot of compatable transmissions, but i dont know which ones and im kinda computer illiterate lol i live in VA and i cant find anything anywhere near me. id prefer to drive and pick something up and be able to inspect it first instead of ordering something off line and hoping it works.

i just like standard more than auto lol

Old 04-10-2010, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

well i think that the corvette taillights would work if you took the lenses and took the cover off and put the corvette ones in there and fill around it with fiber glass or body filler and paint it it shouldnt be that difficult but i wouldnt do it with your taillight lenses incase you dont like it or loose interest im sure you could find some at a junk yard

Old 04-25-2010, 11:38 AM
1st Gear Member

it is a great idea to put a manual into an f- body!

some good advice about the donor car. because all the parts listed soo far only touch the under side.
you need brake and clutch pedals, clutch linkages and rods, revese lights lincages to the steering column, the shifter and lincages.
the center consol , shifter boots ( 3 layers ) ,
and... the tunnel of the floor where the shifter boot screws on is completly different than automatic soo you need to cut and patch on the floor!

but it is highly worth the effort to do it right!

if you want to go to 6 speed , there might be a hole lot of the floor that needs to be tweeked!