Heat question

Old 04-04-2009, 02:27 AM
Exclamation Heat question

(SPILLED WATER ON MY KEYBOARD AND CAN ONLY TYPE IN CAPS)

I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST CAMARO. 1980 Z28. I LIVE IN NEW JERSEY, SO I BOUGHT IT AT A PERFECT TIME (BEGINNING OF SPRING). THE CAR DOES NOT HAVE HEAT HOWEVER. I HAVE UNTILL OCTOBER TO EITHER WORK MY A$$ OFF AND GET A LITTLE BEATER CIVIC OR NEON, OR I CAN PUT $$$ INTO THE CAMARO AND HAVE HEAT, AND THE CAR RUNNING WELL, ETC.
I WAS WONDERING WHAT PARTS I WOULD NEED TO INSTALL HEAT ON A CAMARO ALSO, AROUND HOW MUCH THIS WILL COST ME. (I'M TRYING TO GAUGE WHAT I SHOULD DO IN PREP. FOR THE COLD.)

THANKS FOR THE HELP. I'M A NEWBIE SO GOING TO BE ASKING ALOT TO GET TO KNOW MY CAR BETTER. I HAVE PICS IF YOU CLICK ON MY NAME I'M GUESSING AND LOOK AT THE PROFILE SECTION.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:21 AM
1st Gear Member

doesn't have heat? I thought all cars had heat... does it have it and just doesn't get hot?

Old 04-04-2009, 09:23 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i see the hose from the water pump goes straight to the intake manifold. that hose should go from the water pump to the firewall on the passanger side and another hose should go from the same place on the firewall to the intake. the heater core is supposed to be behind the firewall. some cars they come out through the engine compartment and some from inside the car. most new models it comes out from inside the car under the passanger side dash. heater core is a small radiator that is used to transfer heat. the fan pushes air through the core and into your heater system. it looks like someone either unhooked it because it leaked or took it out to lighten the car. im thinking it was unhooked because of a leak and u will most likely have to put a new heater core in.

ps the hose im talking about is about the size of a garden hose and in your pic it comes up and right into the intake. the blue one.

Last edited by craby; 04-04-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:28 PM

ohh ok so that hose is supposed to hookup to the heater core when its hooked in on the other side of the firewall (question mark broke). coming from the water pump to the heater core...then a return to the intake manifold (q).

i went to pep boys just to price out everything today and with everything possibly needed it didnt even top $200 so that's good. And thats just heat running thru the floor and defroster vent.

thanks for the responses btw.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i knew i could have explaned that better. there should be two emty hose bibs on the firewall on the passanger side. they may have hose on them or could be two holes were the heater core used to be. thats were the hoses are suppose to go to. as far as that goes you should check a shop manule to locate the proper place for the hoses to go. mine a 93, the heater hose goes in the firewall almost in the middle.
i was refering to taking the heater core out. some cars it comes out from the inside the car under the dash and some (the easy ones) come out through the engine compartment. and yes the water goes in from the pump and out to the manifold or is it the other way round. not sure it matters.

Last edited by craby; 04-04-2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: add on
Old 04-06-2009, 12:24 AM

nice....thanks for the advice. i'm going to check it out tomorrow when i have some light and get back to you. So water runs into the heater core once its hooked up? I'm trying to understand the concept of the water going from the pump...to the firewall area...and then the return to the manifold. I'll def. get back to you tom. tho.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:50 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i dont remember if that outlet on the water pump is suction or pressure. makes more sense for it to go the other direction huh. water from the motor would be warmer. if you have access to a manule it will show the proper routing for the hose. im just going on memory from expereance with older cars. if we blew a heater hose we would just unhook it and use the good one to run it back to the motor or water pump just like yours is. that would get us to the parts place or a station.
so it may be that was the case with this and the heater core is good, but that looks like new hose so i kinda doubt it.

Last edited by craby; 04-06-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:10 PM

was looking under the hood today and saw those 2 spouts for the hoses to hook up to the heater core. I'm wondering...does that mean there's a heater core in there already. Or do those spouts sit there regardless....

Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the hose bibs are there yep that mean s theres a core in there. hook it up and see if it leaks. it will leak on the inside the car on the passenger side floor. way up under there against the firewall usually. keep an eye on it because it may not leak until the car warms up and pressurizes the cooling system. it may also leak in a place u cannot see so keep an eye on your coolant level. it will use water to fill the hoses and core so it will drop when you first hook it up but after that if it drops then theres a leak were u cant see the water.